Peroxide to clean wounded silkie?

SHELLY

Songster
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Southwest Missouri
I found my black silkie acting strange when I went out to lock the birds up for the night. She ran to my feet (not completely unusual) and tried to get out of the coop with me. I reached down to shoo her back. This almost always works because unless I'm tossing a snack they run. They don't actullay allow me to pick them up without chasing them around and around first. Well, she didn't try to get away at all so I scooped her up. It was then that I noticed her feathers on her back were messy. I lifted her wing a found a wound going down around her side. There was no blood. It looks like she was skinned. I have seen one on my RIR roos giving her special attention, I guess he must have scraped her up. I put her in the pet carrier and brought her inside. She has food ad water. Now what?

Should I try to clean the area with peroxide? I have that and neosporin. Since it doesn't appear that the skin is broken, I didn't know if I should do anything at all. It was just plain obvious to me she wanted out of there.

Now, she has been inside for about an hour. My hubby had her out of the carrier and sitting on his lap. I think he's in love. Now he wants me to find some of those chicken diapers so she can stay inside all the time.
lau.gif
ep.gif

Somebody please tell me what I should do with her.

Don't use peroxide, I know lots of people do, but it will kill healthy flesh. You are never suppsoe to use it on horses for sure, so i never use it on any animals. Best to clean with warm water with a bit of salt or just warm water and apply the neosporin. It will kill anything that there.

Don't use peroxide, if you can help it. Use warm water and mild soap to wash the wound. Use a baster bulb to squirt the water on the wound to rinse and dislodge any foreign material. If there is a lot of dirt, you may need to pick it off. Smear the area with neosporin and wrap if you can overnight. If the wound is dry and not raw or oozing, you shouldn't need to bandage it.

NEVER USE PEROXIDE FOR ANY WOUND!!!

This will just damage it further and prevent healing.
Our bodies have many mechanisms to clean itself.
Tears are a way to clean our eyes, so use a natural way. Get bakingsoda and warm water .
Use a flat teaspoon of Baking soda per 1 cup of warm water to clean any wound.
This will not sting!!! I personally have used it to clean out my eyes come allergy season!

If your girl is frantic than you can give her a few drops of BACH RESCUE REMEDY SPRAY to calm her nervous system down. You can get it online or at a natural or vitamin store. Just spray once or twice into a small container and fill a small syringe
then give her a few drops.

Last edited:
Well good thing I asked before I tried to clean her up. I promise to not ever use peroxide on my birds.

I cleaned her with warm water and have kept her inside in a pet carrier. She doesn't seem upset. I put a towel on the floor with a plate of sctratch tonight and she pecked at it like always. We left the door open most of the evening and she mostly just sat right inside the door looking out. How long do you think I shoud keep her seperate from the flock?

I have't told hubby yet, but I think I'm going to get rid of a couple of roosters. I've been telling him we have to many, but he likes all of them. We have five roos total. Opie is the first and favoite. He free ranges with 4 hens. He's a keeper. In the run (and seperate coop) we have a black silkie rooster (want to kep him to breed w/ my 2 silkie hens), a white roo hubby saved from in town, and two RIR's. I don't want to keep the reds. I know it was one of them that hurt my silkie girl. One is ecspecially agressive towards the hens but not towards me. My silkies are my only batams. Do most people keep the batams seperate from the standards? Since I found her hurt last night, I've been wondering if they are to little to be wth the bigger chickens, even though they are older. What do you all think?

If I am not mistaken , a Standard roo can hurt a small bird like a silkie if he mates with her! They are so much bigger than those little girls. I personaly keep my silkies seprate ! I have Buff Oprington roos and they would squish them like a bug!

Take Care and Good Luck with her !
Cristina

HOW MANY ROOSTERS PER HENS DO YOU HAVE?

DO YOU HAVE A MIXED BREED COOP?

You may need to cut back on the roos, If you have a roo that is a lot bigger than her it could get a little tough on her.

Also you may need to trim everyones spurs.
I cut my roos back with dog nail clippers then file them with a thick/big dog nail file.

Ok, please don't scold me. I feel guilty for having so many guys. I said I've been telling hubby we have to many roos. We have the 5 I told you about and we have 14 hens. It is a mixed group. Mostly RIR, a couple of Dominques and the silkies. They were all freebies from school that hatched eggs in class last spring. All of my orpingtons were purchased and killed about 2 weeks before they would have started laying (racoons). The spurs are just nubbies so far. None of my roosters are over 9 months old. Do they still need trimmed?

Opie and 4 hens free range w/ 3 ducks and a couple of guineas. In the run (20' x 40') are the rest with a few more guineas. What do I really need, 1 roo per 8 hens?

Back
Top Bottom