Perpetually Broody Buff Orpington

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ann10, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Ann10

Ann10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2014
    Hi Everyone, I started keeping 2 buff orpingtons in February and they started to lay in May. One of them has been off and on broody since she laid her first egg. I finally gave her chicks to raise and she was great mothering them until they were about 4.5 weeks and now leaving them be (they are now 6 weeks). Well, she has been showing signs all over a gain of going broody and today started with the getting bristled when I try to take her off the nest. So, I live in a residential area and do not really have need of a perpetually broody hen. I am thinking of either culling her or offering her to a home that needs a broody hen. Any suggestions?

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I had several hens that were perpetual brooders.
    I didn't need that many broody hens, so I put them up for sale on Craigslist.
    They all sold the first day.
    Apparently, there are a lot of folks looking for broody hens to hatch their eggs!

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

If you don't need a perpetually broody hen, I would suggest to find her a different home if you can. You could, of course, kill her (to "cull" is simply to remove her from the flock, so even if you were to find her a new home, you would be "culling" her :) and put her in the freezer, but I would advertise first to see if you can find someone who would like a broody hen. (I would love one! It's so much easier than incubating!)

4. nicktrkula

nicktrkula Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    I could take her but I'm in ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by