1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

perplexed

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by getreal, Jul 30, 2014.

1. getreal

getreal Songster

May 9, 2014
    u.p. MI
    this one has got me stumped..I have a chicken who will stay in the coop most of the time. I will find her jumping at the wall. she goes all along the wall jumping. today I found her up on a platform jumping at the wall in the corner. she will let me pick her up and that is something none of them usually let me do. anyone have an idea what could be going on with her?

2. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    She might not be able to see very well? My chickens jump at the wall like that when they want to get out! Like if one chicken sees another chicken outside of the fence they try to get through the chicken wire. Does it seem like she doing that?

3. getreal

getreal Songster

May 9, 2014
    u.p. MI
    I was wondering if that might be the problem cuz I put my hand around her face and she didn't flinch or anything.

4. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Yeah, I'd have a vet check her out if possible! Have been seeing her eating?

5. getreal

getreal Songster

May 9, 2014
    u.p. MI
    I have never really watched and they all look the same [​IMG] I am going to be watching now. she knows when I go into the run cuz they all come out. I take a head count. I'm just now figuring out which ones are the roos, I know that sounds pitiful. they are just starting to get their roo tail feathers. lol and one just figured out he can crow. it's cute

6. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Are they all the same breed?

7. getreal

getreal Songster

May 9, 2014
    u.p. MI
    yes and all the same age

8. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Wow. How many do you have?! I have 4 13 week old pullets (all different breeds) and 2 almost 4 week olds. Out of the 2 youngest there's one roo and I'm going to have to trade him in for a pullet.....I wish I could keep him, but I live in town and don't want to take the chance. He's so pretty......I hope the other 4 week old is a pullet! I have all different breeds.....one Black sex link, Brown sex link, Australorp, Silkie and 2 mixed breed chicks.
    Maybe you could put leg bands on your chickens or paint their nails? I've heard of people doing that. Though it's hard to imagine someone catching chickens and painting their nails! With leg bands people usually use different colored zip ties. Of course you'll have to change them as they grow....

9. getreal

getreal Songster

May 9, 2014
    u.p. MI
    I have 12 white leghorns and 2 pekin ducks. I could just see the look on my husbands face if I told him we need to paint their nails. [​IMG]

10. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Lol! I bet! You should try it though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: