persimmons?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by trkcChick, Jan 8, 2010.

1. trkcChick

trkcChick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    Culloden, GA
    I have a case of persimmons that I got in a food cop-op. Can chickens eat them or is it bad for them? I hate to waste them.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    They can eat them as far as I know. It's just a fruit. I can't think of any reason for them not to. Hope that helps [​IMG]

3. bukbugack

bukbugack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    L.I. New York
    As far as I know they're fine for chickens. I have a persimmon tree and have shared some of my crop with the birds. They go berserk over them, especially if they are very ripe and mushy. Persimmons are super-healthy, and have a lot of calcium, too. Not my favorite fruit, though. Kind of slimy.

4. trkcChick

trkcChick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    Culloden, GA
    thanks! They love to get my overflow from our co-op. They had cantaloupe today. Maybe persimmons tomorrow.

5. sparkleberry

sparkleberry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2015
    San Jose, California
    Hello,
    I was wondering if the persimmon seeds may harm my chickens. The seeds are very tough but easy for them to swallow since they’re coated with a slippery substance.
    I started feeding my flock of 6 two weeks ago and one was sick for a few days and just died this morning.

Persimmons is the only change I’ve made to their diet. Just coincidence?

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Mine routinely consume seeds of persimmons for about a month each fall. Seeds are ground by gizzard so if toxins present the birds are exposed. I have not noticed health issues.

7. sparkleberry

Jun 28, 2015
    San Jose, California
    Thank you for sharing your experience. Much appreciated!

8. Ljc01

Ljc01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2016
    Nipomo, Ca
    My birds will eat any fruit that falls to the ground. They love persimmons. I find they will have loose poop at the peak of fruit season.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    In one of my pens, the first thing the chickens do when I open the door in the morning is to run under the persimmon tree to eat what has fallen during the night.

10. sparkleberry

Jun 28, 2015
    San Jose, California
    Thank you Ljc01 and ChickenCanoe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by