Persistant Mites/Lice - Dust but still around

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pHENtHOUSE, Oct 23, 2013.

1. pHENtHOUSE

pHENtHOUSE Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    I bought a batch of new chicks/chickens, resuced a few of them, and I dosed with antibiotics and deloused them before putting in coop. I have been dusting them about once a week and some still shake there heads and scratch. I used the commercial animal duster and I've also tried Diotomatious Earth.

Any suggestions on getting them gone for good before I introduce them into the full flock?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Do you actually see any mites/lice/lice eggs on them? Scratching and shaking of the head is a relatively common chicken behavior that is not necessarily a sign of external parasites. I would think that any parasites would be gone after you dusting the birds so often. The DE probably hasn't done much, but the dust should have. Have you thoroughly cleaned out their living quarters, sprayed the area down with vinegar or a mite/lice spray, and then put in fresh bedding?

3. pHENtHOUSE

pHENtHOUSE Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    I did not spay the area with vinigar but they do get fresh bedding and I put power in the bedding. Not much but just a tad to try and discourage them. I do not see the mites my my granddaughter says she does. I may need to do a more through inspection before I try dusting again. I clean the poop boards once a week and refresh or replace the bedding. We'll see!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by