Persistent coccidiosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JCE123, Feb 13, 2015.

1. JCE123

JCE123 In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    I have treated my flock with Corid and I still see a pink spotted poop on the droppings board once every third day. Can it be that the Corid has not worked? I believe it is one hen, but I am not completely sure. Is there something else I should try? All of the hens seem completely normal, eating, running around, laying fine. But then, so did the one who died a few weeks ago. Lab analysis on her showed coccidiosis and fatty liver disease (I guess I was giving too many sunflower seeds and other treats!). The report stated that cause of death was the fatty liver, not the coccidiosis. This is all so confusing.
    Here's the Corid treatment I did:
    1 tsp 9.6% Corid in half a gallon of water, for probably a week or 10 days
    Then, 1/2 tsp in half a gallon for about 5 days now
    Any opinions or suggestions welcome! Thanks!

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Crowing

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    If you are treating symptoms the equivalent of 1 tsp per gallon won't do anything since that is a preventative dose for 9.6% Corid. The dosage for treatment is 2 tsp (10 ml). Lay off whole grains for a week and avoid scratch with sunflower in it. Birds that moult often become less active, and are at risk for fatty liver disease in addition to eating less. That is why supplementing water during moult is important. Once a week during moult, or after a regiment of medication, I recommend a supplement called Lewerstim (liquid form) which contains thioctic acid and B vitamins, both of which support and detoxify the liver.

It is a good practice to use a water dispersible probiotic labeled for use in poultry once a week without fail. Probios dispersible powder and Dawe's DPP are too very good brands with the right profile of ingredients for chickens. That will keep the intestines healthy and prevent problems.

You may not just be dealing with Coccidiosis, though it is a common problem. I would try 10 ml of Corid per gallon and pay attention to droppings for the next 3 days for improvement. You can feed pellets or crumbles moistened with 150 ml of a 50-50 mix of buttermilk and water per 4 lbs of feed. Put out enough that they will eat it in 15 minutes each morning and have feeders with regular dry pellets/crumbles. If you see improvement in 3 days, go the full 5-7 days with Corid. Then give vitamin-electrolyte-probiotic powder in waterers for 3 days. I regularly supplement water with vitamin-electrolytes 3 days a week, and make sure my birds get Probios dispersible in water once a week without fail. In March, my old flock will be 10 years old with a couple older than that, so being attentive to diet and supplementation does make a difference in health and longevity. Keep us posted.

3. JCE123

JCE123 In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Michael, I was giving 1tsp in half a gallon of water, so that should be the outbreak treatment dosage, right?
    Should I continue that?
    I am ordering the Lewerstim and the probios. I will get some buttermilk today.
    Thank you very much for all the info! I will begin following your advice asap. :)

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Crowing

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Gotcha. I saw this early this morning before heading out to work. If you don't see improvement after that many days of using Corid, it is likely something else. If droppings are watery, or contain excess mucous, you could be dealing with bacterial enteritis, or intestinal worms. When was the last time you dewormed them? Also, what do you feed them on a daily basis?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

6. JCE123

JCE123 In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Ok, I do see watery poops on the droppings board, but not every day. Maybe one every other day. I wormed them with safeguard in the fall. They eat layer pellets mixed with Naturally Free Layer grains. Plus a little kale or apple every couple of days. I think I should get my vet to do another fecal analysis on Monday.

7. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Crowing

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Fecal exams will need to be done a few times within a week since worms and their eggs aren't always detected with one test. Fresh droppings retained in a plastic freezer bag, then set in the refrigerator until the vet opens that morning will help with accuracy. I'd recommend eliminating apples and kale stocks. The leafy part of kale is alright once or twice a week. The pellets will contain more nutrients than grains, so focus on feeding more pellets and less scratch grains. Supplement water with poultry vitamins 3 days a week, Probios dispersible powder (1 tsp per gal) once a week. I wormed last Fall too, but found myself doing it again this month after some heavy rain and increased temperatures during the day. Safe-guard Liquid is effective when dosed 5 days in a row at 1 ml for a 6 lb bird. I prefer Albendazole tablets or Valbazen suspension at .08 ml per lb of bird's weight. One dose is given, then an additional dose is given ten days later. I hope the problem is easily remedied. Good quality organic layer rations benefit my birds more than other rations I've used in the past, so the quality of ingredients do make a difference. Just like dog food, there is low quality junk on the market as well as high quality.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You could also try a different medication for cocci like Sulfadimethoxine, there are 6-9 different strains of cocci, and one of the meds may not cover what the other one does. I use 1 tsp per gallon for 5 days.

9. JCE123

JCE123 In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Michael, I have been giving a bit of buttermilk each day, adding poultry vitamins to the water and cutting out all but layer pellets. Things (poops, lol!) are looking good. I got the Probios and Lewerstim today, but they sent tablets instead of the liquid that I had ordered. Can I use lewerstim tablets and if so how? I might just send it back but i don't want to wait for another delivery of I can make the tablets work... Any suggestions?
    Thanks again for all the helpful info!!

10. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Crowing

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    It all depends on how easy you want it to be as to whether or not you send Lewerstim tabs back. The tabs are given @ 1 tab per lb of bird, and only one day each week generally during moult or once each week for two weeks after a regiment of medication. Don't use it more than 1 day out of a week and use it the same day of each week you decide on. The label should confirm that. You're welcome, and keep me posted on your birds' health, or if you have any further questions. You may not want to give buttermilk every day for too long or droppings may become watery. I generally give it once a week mixed in feed. Are you mixing it in feed?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by