1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Persistent lice despite treatments

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gmrt77, Jun 26, 2016.

1. gmrt77

gmrt77 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    Hi everyone,

My Clementina has had these annoying yellow lice for a month now, despite my bathing her, treating her with DE, clipping the affected areas. Now, she has small sores near her vent, due to the persistent lice. She's been weakened by it, and she is on a special diet with lots of protein, and veggies.

I'm going to give another bath, and put more ash in different areas of the yard, to see if it helps. But I'm wondering, if you have other suggestions. She doesn't have a huge amount of lice, in fact, I think this time are the left over hatched eggs I couldn't remove a week ago. Is there any other suggestions you may have for me?

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You have to clean out all the bedding in the coop, including nests, treat the building and put new bedding in. That has to be done the same time you treat the birds. All birds have to be treated and again about 5-7 days later.

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    DE won't treat lice, you need to dust her with a poultry dust, or you could try ivermectin, and do like ChickenCanoe says and treat her coop.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Noticed that this hen had eye lice, so decided to take to pictures and video before treating with ivermectin. She is a 2015 peahen that weighs 3.2 kg and was given 0.15 ml of 1.87% ivermectin paste, which works out to ~0.9 mg/kg. All lice were gone in 24-48 hours.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And two videos:

-Kathy

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. gmrt77

gmrt77 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    I have done a couple of times. I have been keeping a close eye, and I have inspected the other girls, but Clementina seems to be the only one with this persistent problem.

6. Starseed

Starseed Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2016
    California
    Try Ivermectin. DE may or may not help prevent lice... but it won't treat an outbreak.
    (If you can get ahold of a copy of The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow, it has a HUGE section on mites/lice types, life cycles, and different drugs/ chemicals to treat with.)

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Warning, lots of misinformation in that book!

-Kathy

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    @casportpony

True but it's better than no book at all.
    Have you gotten the second edition yet and compared it to what you found wrong in the first book?

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The second edition is the one with misinformations.

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The second edition I believe contains this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by