1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

persistent lice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tacampbell1973, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    So my two adult hens have nits. I had been treating the black banty (Begawk) for a week now. A week ago she was COVERED in lice. Nits the size of Texas near her vent. Got those removed with vaseline and some gentle tugging. But today I looked closely at my white banty hen, Agnes, who hates to be touched or held, only to find nits and a few live bugs. I am at my wits end here. I have four fluffy as cotton ball Cochins who knock on wood don't have yet but its a matter of time. I need a foolproof ( me being the fool here ) treatment. I heard vaseline, but nits are all over, on her neck, back, bottom I dontknow if i can cover the entire bird with vaseline. I am told Diatemaceous earth, but don't know how to apply it. Please will someone give me a tried and true methodwith instructions so I can save my poor birds and my sanity too, Thank you for any and all help, it will be greatly appreciated. I have never itched so much in my life, I can only imagine what these poor birds are feeling.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've never heard of using Vaseline, and DE will not work. You need Sevin 5% garden dust, and probably the liquid to treat the coop, to get in the cracks. You need to treat the flock and coop -- remove all bedding and spray surfaces. Be sure to get the underside of the roost. Then repeat the whole process in 10 days, to get the eggs that will have hatched.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

3. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Thank you so much for your help. I have the sevin powder so just need the liquid and am set to spend tomorrrow treating everyone and everything. Just to be clear though, powder the birds and spray the inanimate stuff, ie. Coop, run, etc..?

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    That is correct.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by