Person Aggressive Ameraucana Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by byfarmer, Aug 16, 2014.

1. byfarmer

byfarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2014
    He is young, is there a way I can put a stop to this or does he need to go? 17 weeks old. Nobody is mean to these chickens, chasing is not allowed. My other rooster and all my hens are mellow.

Once I pick him up he is fine. Settles and I can pet and talk to him. However, he has attacked both my grandsons and the littler boy got it twice in one hour! [​IMG]

Food should not be an issue: Free range dawn til dusk. Chick starter in coop.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    ANY rooster who is openly aggressive to humans, especially little ones, is headed for the stew pot as far as I'm concerned. He definitely needs to go!

3. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    My roo is the same way! When he was younger, he was the sweetest thing ever, but now his main mission in life is to annihilate all humans. (Especially people he hasn't seen before) he's ok with me, as long as I don't reach for him, but when I do have to wrangle the devil roo I have to net him! I would get rid of him, but I've had him since he was a baby and I know he would be killed or mistreated if I didn't have him. :/ lol I may be a bit too attached to my animals!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto^^^^

5. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Off with his head!

Or, you could re-home him to somewhere where there are no children he can hurt.

Really though, this is probably not a trait anyone would recommend breeding on.

Chicken soup, anyone? [​IMG]

- Krista

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Rooster -N- Noodles!!

Or actually, 17 weeks is still young enough to go on the grill!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Invite him to dinner........ Sorry he doesn't get any silverware!

8. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I'll have mine with a small dinner salad, please! [​IMG]

9. chickensss

chickensss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2014
    my rooster is the same way! he charges at anyone who seems to be scared of him or he will just randomly charge at someone who is just happily walking by. it's quite annoying and he's only 4 1/2 months old! u just have to teach him that ur the dominant one, and not him. stand up to him, stomp ur foot in front of him and act bigger so he knows who's boss. this seems to be helping with my rooster issues. if he doesn't learn soon, then I would recommend selling him.

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Attacking children??? One way ticket to the crock pot! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by