Personal experiences on rabbit runs and colonies?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Skye'sDucks, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Right now I can't exactly change up my rabbit situation, but in the future I'm very interested in re-doing the type of place they live in, and possibly even trying out a colony. I know this is early to ask, but I'm in a learning mood. :p

So I was going to ask, to those who have done it, what are your opinions about a run/rabbit house on the ground? What about colonies? Can you list pros and cons about both things?

As a little side-note, I'm entering college this fall and live with my parents, and I hope to be able to support animals alongside myself in the future wherever I settle. I have 2 pet rabbits and have around 8 years of experience. My future goal is to raise a little flock of chickens and ducks with maybe rabbits and possibly goats. :bun

Thank you for any help!

2. Chicks 'n ducks

Chicks 'n ducks Songster

Jan 23, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    I had some large X-pens set up in our shed for my 3 rabbits, all unspayed females. Once I bonded them together using different methods, I introduced them into the new pens. It was great, for a while. They would groom each other, have room to run around, etc. Every now and then I would find tufts of fur on the ground. Then I realized that two had been ganging up on my 8 year old rabbit and injured him.

Skye'sDucks likes this.
  3. Thank you for your response! Was 'him' a typo or did you have another rabbit other than the females?

Also, was it fairly easy to bond three? I've bonded my two current rabbits so I know the work that goes into it, although mine where pretty easy.

4. Chicks 'n ducks

Chicks 'n ducks Songster

Jan 23, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    Him was a typo. I thought he was a male for 7 years, because the breeder said she was. Then one day I thought I'd check, "he was she". But now I still call her a boy because I can't change. Bonding was much easier than I thought, considering all the bunny forums saying it's impossible to bond unspayed females, let alone 3.

5. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    Bunnylady said it best. Rabbits can get along just fine with each other until they don't. Then it can get very bloody.

6. Chicks 'n ducks

Chicks 'n ducks Songster

Jan 23, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    Yes, exactly. It is something to be aware of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: