Personality Change

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Booswalia, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my chickens (a White Rock) just started laying eggs this week. I've had her since August and I was beginning to think she was never going to lay an egg. She has always been very stand-offish and stays separate from the the other two Delawares I have who are ALWAYS together. She always stays out of reach when I go near. Since she started laying she's been a whole new chicken. [​IMG] She's friendly and she will even take something from my hand now. She's getting along with the other two girls as well. Wow! I can't believe the change is her. I guess she feels like one of the girls now.

2. nature nut

nature nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I've heard that chickens get friendlier when they start to lay. I don't know if it is hormonal or maturity but I bet it's nice!

3. Booswalia

Quote:You bet it's nice. I wasn't expecting this change in her.

4. dianer29

dianer29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    One of my 21 week old SILKIES has a temporary personality change for the worse. She had been up to today been "cooing and letting me pet her. No moulting in progress,no changes in diet or any other care . She went after me today and I had to tap her with my finger back to show her it is not acceptable. I know they are "teenagers" right now and see the struggle going on . I can't let her get away with that behavior or it will be a habit. She was"taken back" ,ran to corner to pout. She was hesitant to feed from my hand today . I gave her the food slowly so we do not lose the trust we have in each other. I felt sad yet I knew it had to be addressed and now ,at least so far still spins around to the others but does not pull it on me.

5. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I've seen that with mine as well.

Especially this week, geeze. They spent 3 weeks not coming out of the pen much because of the weather (door was open, but they stayed in on their own) and of course they all matured a bit in that time. All of them are quieter, let me handle them, and don't run when it's time to go to bed now.

6. Booswalia

Maybe it's a sign that spring is coming. [​IMG]

7. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    i have 2 chickens that were dumped out here in the country and they kind of did the same thing. neither were laying when i first took them in, they were stupid skinny and in pretty bad shape, btu as soon as they started getting back to healthy and laying Poof! we have 2 happy girls who let me near them!

8. mccaff mama hen

mccaff mama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    That's s funny. Chicken Little (white rock) just began laying this last week a couple of soft shell eggs, but she has always been sweet, curious and friendly. Renny (red star) stared laying on Thursday. She always came when I called, while they were free ranging and would come up, but she didn't want t be touched or get too chumy. About a week ago I started to say to DH that she was getting sweeter. she actually started flying up on my DD shoulder, sitting in the hood of her hoodie and wanting to be stroked when Chicken Little was getting attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by