personality change

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TomG, Dec 5, 2010.

1. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    My Barred rock's attitude has changed for the worse. She is my only chicken that has stopped laying during the short days. She stopped squatting, pecks more at the other hens and keeps her distance from me. She use to be my friendliest girl. I use to be able to pick her up and pet her. Now she screams bloody murder if I try.
    Will her temperment improve as the days get longer and she starts to lay again? Or is her behavior not related to laying/day length? She appears healthy and fat and has no bugs. She is eight months old.

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Do you have a rooster with your hens?

3. TomG

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    Quote:No, no roosters. I was just out in the coop though and I noticed allot of her downy type featers scattered about. I think she has started to moult.

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    With no rooster around, she could be taking on that role. I have heard on this site that sometimes a dominate hen that has no roo will take his place. It may be that the molt is stressing her if she is molting

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    We have a few hens that are like that when they molt and aren't laying. Then, in spring, all of a sudden the nice part of the brain starts to function again. [​IMG]

6. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Since molting is a hormonal phenomena, it's only natural that some hens will change personality when molting.
    "Sorry, dear, it's that time of the year."

7. TomG

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    they'reHISchickens :

Since molting is a hormonal phenomena, it's only natural that some hens will change personality when molting.
    "Sorry, dear, it's that time of the year."

Pre molting syndrom?​

8. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    uh huh:)
    We have noticed a tendency to sulk just before the feathers fly. They curl up in a nest and don't leave it. They especially sleep in the nest at night-- dead giveaway of molt in our coop.
    PMS
    Just pamper the girls with BOSS and hi-protein snacks and pray it passes sooner rather than later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by