Personality in Breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fowlplay, Feb 25, 2008.

1. fowlplay

fowlplay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Townsend
    Hey All,
    My husband and I have heard that some breeds of chicken are more "pet friendly" than others. Is this true? And if so, which breeds are known to be sweet, gentle natured and friendly?
    Thanks for all your continued help...you guys are the best!

2. User48

User48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2007
    My personal opinion is that Cochins & Silkies are the most mellow & friendliest. Of course, there are always exceptions, but the "standard" chickens we have - including a RI Red, a BLRW, a Dominique, a Barred Rock, a Welsummer, an Amerecauna, and a Phoenix are all pretty consistent in their dislike of being picked up. They coo good-night to me at night when I lock them up & are tolerant of being patted then, and they follow me around during the day when I come out to visit while they're free ranging, but the Silkies & the Cochins let me pick them up regularly & seem to almost look forward to it. The flightiest, most skittish bird I have is a buff laced polish. Again, others may have completely different experiences, but this has been mine so far.

Laura

3. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    All the rocks. barred are the prettiest
    All the brahmas
    Silkies
    Americanas
    Dominiques
    People say bufforpingtons, but i dont care for mine, and i got rid of my rooster.
    But yeah i say go with brahmas feathered feet cold hardy super super friendly, and some rocks they are awesome.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I heard Salmon Faverolles are an excellent beginners chicken for niceness but you gotta get a good breeder of them too

I heard rocks are real nice too except maybe the purple ones are a little meaner

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by