1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Personality of Jap. Bantams??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jennyhaschicks, May 22, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I only have five chicks and they are our first ever. I have one Jap. Bantam, one RIR x White leghorn, and the other three are white leghorns. My little Bantam is the friendliest and has the best personality overall. It's like she really likes us.. The other ones really could care less about us. (they like us when we bring them worms![​IMG]) Is this a trait the Jap. Bantams have? Anyone know? At this point I would like to get more of them.

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    My male is very friendly and nice but he is jeaolouse of my dog when I give my dog attention. My female died but she was sweet, I have a new female 4 mths old and she attacks me when I feed her but I think that is because I was keeping her with a nasty cockerel that attacked everything so she was just surviving.I just separated them... I think the males can be a little aggressive but if you spend time with them they are good, Mine seems to be attached to me like a parrot would be. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  3. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    I have a jap roo. He isnt friendly, yet. I have only had him for about 2 months. I can say he is nice to the girls. Not nearly as ruff as a stanard roo.

4. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a btw jap roo and he's friendly to everyone and everything EXCEPT a big RIR I have. lol...he tears him up every chance he gets lol
    He loves the kids. He'll get close enough to them for them to toss him some feed but not let them pick him up.
    He's the calmest roo I've ever had person wise and far as breeding this girls.
    I enjoy him!

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I hope they're super sweet - cause my broody BO just hatched one: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I hate to say it but I have 3 Jap. Bantams and they are the meanest creatures (in line after my geese) on the face of this earth. I know it sounds harsh but those little boogers HATE ME!!!! They run for dear life when I get close to them. When I do try to handle them after catching them, you could swear I was taking them to the slaughter house. They make the loudest noises. If I had to get rid of any of my birds (which i never will), the would be the first to go. I love the Jap. Bantams but they are so darn unfriendly. I have 30 bantams and they are the most unfriendly. There was only 1 time when I was in their run area and I bent down and 1 of the Jap Bantams flew on my back. But I think he poo poo-ed on me and fly off. Go figure. [​IMG]

7. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    It will be interesting to see if the Jap. bantam stays as friendly as she is right now.

8. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I have raised the black japanese for over 10 years. They make excellent broody hens and are gentle. 6 of my girls greeted me on the steps the other day with wings outstretched, puffed out and clucking; all were broody !!!! They will nest anywhere and goodluck finding one !! They are highly protective of their babies too. My roosters look out for the girls and babies and were all raised from babies themselves. They are an excellent addition to the barnyard and our kids love them![​IMG]

9. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Well, I have a Black Tail trio and they are crazy. Can't go near them, but I did not raise them, got them full grown and they were like that then. I have two White Jap roo's and they are very friendly and gentle. I think it is all in how they are raised. When I reduce my flock, the Black Tail Japs will be the first to go.

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:So cute! Congrats! I have some black tailed whites in the bator now. Sounds like I will need to give them extra attention as chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by