Personality Stages

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Orange Ribbon, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Awhile back someone posted about their baby geese going through the "terrible two's." I guess every critter has its phases as it goes along, learning this and that.

My three brown Africans were very friendly while they were little, but being allowed to free range they became a little stand-offish. They would come to me if I whistled, but run when I reached out to them. When picked up they struggled to get free, and one female would put her head down real low like she was scared to death. That has gone on for a few weeks, but in the past several days I have noticed a change in them. Lately I have been able to pick them up and although they move back some when reached for, once I pick them up they are just as calm and seem to really enjoy it. When I let them feed from my hand or cup I can now rub their bellies without any flinching. I guess they just had to learn I wasn't going to bite their heads off or something. I am hoping they will become even more comfortable with being petted and handled as time goes on.

Any of you have a similar experience? My geese are only about 5 to 6 weeks old now. Any of you with older geese got any speculation about their next "phase?" [​IMG]

2. n4zty

n4zty Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    yep my 2 juveniles are doing that now i think your right they begin to understand your not there to hurt them and get use to you. my african goose would scream bloody murder if i tried to pick him up but not anymore. suppose the older they get the less fear they have towards humans im not sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by