Personality wise.....Which rare breed do you like best?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chamoisee, Sep 20, 2011.

1. chamoisee

chamoisee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2011
    Taken as a breed (I know that there are nice and disagreeable individuals within every breed and species!), which breeds do you like best for personality, and why?

I am particularly interested in the rare and or heritage type breeds....
    I was thinking Chantecler, Dorking, Sumatra, possibly Aracauna, Welsummer, Lakenvelder, Hamburg....Rhode Island White... in order of preference.

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    salmon faverolles, sweetest chickens ever!

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    ugh... i'm gonna sound like a biter here, but i have to say serama...

or, i really liked my shamo's personalities...

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Araucanas, Shamos, and Polish. [​IMG] (non hatchery

5. chamoisee

chamoisee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2011
    A Biter? (confused) I thought Seramas were known for being sweet and friendly! [​IMG]

Oh, Shamos! Yeah, they were supposed to be on the list, too!

6. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I only have two pullets - so I don't have a lot of experience, but mine are bantam Araucana. I love them. They are very quiet. They like to come around to see if you have food. But at this point they don't want to be held or petted. I don't know if that is the breed, the fact that I got them when they were 3 months old or just their individual personality. I do have ALOT of fun watching them be their quirky little selves running all over the yard. So far they are the most trouble free pet I have ever had. Make sure they have food and water. Watch them run around the yard when I feel like it. They put themselves to bed and I lock them up at night. Otherwise they are fine on their own.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  7. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    Icelandics have the most personality of any breed I have.. not too mention the most diverse array of colors etc!!!

8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Orpingtons, specifically English Imported birds. They're like feathered puppy dogs. [​IMG]

I have 1 Platinum Sumatra who is around 4 months old and is one of the sweetest birds I've ever encountered. She'll fly up to my arm and hunker down, then "chat" with me while I rub her chest and beak. I plan on breeding her with hopes of more super friendly offspring!

9. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    my mum is a fan of silver campines. i like yokohama's and phoenix's.

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Silver Appleyard ducks. They are all so calm, top of the list for egg laying, excellent feed conversion, pretty to look at. Not a molecule of aggression anywhere in their bodies.

They are sassy, though. If I want them to move and they don't want to go, they will stand there and argue with me about it, all bobbing their heads and making a funny quick burbling noise. I call them The Ladies' Sewing Circle. They are like a bunch of gossipy old ladies. Sometimes I have to reach down and actually push them to make them move when the group decision is that they aren't going to go where I want them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by