personalized leg bands

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Picco, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I would like to buy 20 or so personalized leg bands. Does anyone know where I can get them and how much they would cost?

2. drafthorse39

drafthorse39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    well i'm really not sure but i'm gonna keep my eye on this post cause i really think that sounds neat, i want some. Hope somone responds soon [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Oh, I want some too. I will be watching for someone who knows and posts, too.

4. JillsChicks

JillsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    Western NY
    Ok, Jill and I are real newbies, so pardon any ignorance implied by this question but...

I'm assuming that personalized legbands are for keeping chicks straight, right? Has anyone ever tried putting different color nail polishes on chicks' toes? Is this horrible to even ponder?! I've thought about begging girlfriends I know for their old polishes and using different colors... I threw away anything but clear a long time ago - my hands are into too much work to keep polish looking nice...

Crazy idea perhaps, Ann

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Hi Ann, I think I would rather have something more permanent such as a leg band but if they won't peck the polish off that is a good temp. idea! I have some chicks that look so much alike that I can't tell them apart. I have only one that is very tame and I have to go into the coop/pen and put my hands down. If it is the right one she will come right to me for me to pick her up. But if she is with the others, at a distance, I don't know which one she is??? Thanks for your input.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  7. Forest_Nymph

Forest_Nymph Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Maine
    I've gone to the hardware store and bought colored tie tags and used them as leg bands to ID my twin chickens.
    I've also see bright colored velcro strips there too but haven't tried using them yet....The velcro tags are about 1/2" wide and work on the same principle.

My white silkie roo "Figi" aka "Fifi" is wearing a bright blue leg tie tag that I can see from a reasonable distance.

Hope this helps

8. crazy4daisy

crazy4daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    Quote:Yup, leg bands are for keeping chicks straight.

I don't think it would hurt the chicks to polich their toenails, but it would be really hard to keep the chick still long enough to do them, and you would have to redo them every couple of weeks.

9. Weewanona

Weewanona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Wilburton, OK
    [​IMG]

I can just see it now.........a bunch of chicks running around pecking each other toes!

[​IMG]

10. Mechanic1987

Mechanic1987 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Anniston, Ala.
    I used colored nylon zip ties loosly on their legs. Now we can them by name looking at their bands. Be sure to clip the excess and keep them loose for growth.
    300 ties for 6.00 at the hardware store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by