Pertinent to frequent discussions about coyotes and wolves

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by centrarchid, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Next time I see a pack of wolves, Can I shoot one of the 10 and say that was the coyote part, not the wolf part? They make awfully nice coats.

Interesting article. I've noticed for many years our coyotes up here are larger and more heavily furred than "typical" coyotes from farther west. Had heard there was some Wolf hybridization, but never saw the data before. Thanks for sharing.

2. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Thank you for sharing that. The 'Urban Legand' is true. Great. I hope all I have to worry about is the smaller genetically untampered with coyote. May my suburban dream come true.

3. dixiebeast

dixiebeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    Great post...we have always thought our coyotes were bigger than what they show on tv hunts and thought that if they thought that was a nice trophy they really need to see what we have here!

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Good post, OP! I've read numerous articles similar to this, as it's a worsening phenomenon. Some scientists think that the majority of native wolves in the US are not pure wolf. It is the reasoning behind obtaining Canadian Timber Wolves as an attempt to re-populate wolves in the West.

The only bad part is that these Timber Wolves are badder dudes than our native wolves ever were. Our deer and elk are pretty out-classed, which makes our local hunters pretty upset.

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:the wild life folks at alligator river reffuge seem to think the red wolves and yotes have been interbred down this way

6. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Quote:the wild life folks at alligator river reffuge seem to think the red wolves and yotes have been interbred down this way

NO NO NO that is an urban legand. [​IMG][​IMG] Or at least that's what I kept telling myself till I read that. I am just west of RVA. you keep your mutants there![​IMG]
    My cousins are in Warsaw and have been hearing that for quite some time.

7. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    interesting!

and answers a question I had about the (?) that was standing at the door to my chicken run a couple of mornings ago. it was still pretty dark, and I couldn't see it clearly... I thought at first it was a coyote, but it was *very* light bodied and long legged, with a rather long and VERY bushy tail. I thought - too tall for a fox, too light for a coyote, and look at that TAIL! wonder if they cross breed?

so, now I know they don't. must just be a young, light coyote, not fully mature yet. with an especially nice tail brush.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by