Pesky birds!!!!! What do you think?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by shuizar209, Aug 7, 2009.

1. shuizar209

shuizar209 Songster

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    I live where there are tons of wild birds. Wild birds meaning pigeons and other small birds. My problem with these is that they constantly fly down and eat my chicken feed. I dont want to pay for my chickens to eat and the rest of the neighborhood birds. Its not just 5 or 10 its like a hundred or so. I can prove with pics. Its crazy, they will wait on the telephone lines and as soon as I go into the house they fly down and start grubbing. Every morning I only hear a few birds chirping (Im deaf in one ear) but as soon as I put food out they all start chirping it sounds lilke that one killer bird movie. What should I do? Get a fake owl? Do those work? Is there anyone who has been through this before?

2. Kojack

Kojack In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Independence
    shotgun works wonders on pigeons. Just a few times and they get the hint. They are quick learners, they learned about the easy feed right?

3. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Cover the place where you feed them? Im not sure where you do this, but if you can cover it with some small netting or tarp it will help.
    Kittykelly is here and says "get a REAL owl" lol

A plastic one wouldn't hurt to try, but not sure how effective they are in the long run....

4. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Cover your run or pen where you feed your birds so the wild ones can't get to it.

5. shuizar209

shuizar209 Songster

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Quote:I use my airsoft gun LOL you should hear the sounds they make when they get hit. Ive got some awesome aim. There is a black and white dove that Ive pegged many times. Ive shot him in the head maybe ten times. You would think they would learn.

6. tomato lady

tomato lady Songster

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I have my coop run covered with bird netting. For me it works -- not expensive and doesn't require time that I don't have. Chickens are in, other birds are out.

I used to feed birds outside my livingroom window so my Mother could watch them. She was 95 and lived with us. I bought bird feed by the 100 lbs. and they went through several bags a year.

Good luck.

7. shuizar209

shuizar209 Songster

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Thank you guys!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: