Pesky neighbors

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by ChickenPeep, May 20, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    A year ago, i had a lovely rooster and everything was great, untill we got a letter from the city telling us to get rid of him. a few weeks laqter, he passed away unexpedly [​IMG] This year, we couldnt resist the urge, we are thinking about moving and we just HAD to get 5 chicks! [​IMG] However, our neighbors are right behinds so they can see almost everything so when we get them out, we have to hide them behind the trees! They call the cituy about EVERYTHING!!! they will call the city if your basketball hoop is too close to the street, the color of your house is too bright, and much, much more! I saw that this category is called 'Local laws and ordanances and how to change them'. so i was wondering, how do you change them!?!?

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Well, if they already complain about everything, it doesn't sound too promising. I guess it depends on how much you want to fight with these people. Ultimately, it's probably not a good idea to make things with them worse, but perhaps you could give them a taste of their own medicine and complain about something they are doing. No one is perfect, and they must have something going on that is against code. You don't need to necessarily call the city, just perhaps point it out to them and suggest that if they are willing to overlook your transgressions, you'll overlook theirs.

Frankly, though, your only real solution might either be stealth indoor chickens, moving, or hoping they move.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Taller fence???

4. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    or bribe them with eggs.....be sickeningly nice to them...it will drive them crazy [​IMG]
    and get a taller fence...

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  5. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:oh my gosh i was actually thinking about that! [​IMG]

6. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    I am just curious why you would buy five chicks when you know it is illegal and will get a complaint? Especially when you know your neighbor will not approve.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  7. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:Because our grandmother had them and they were so personable and fell asleep on us and we loved them! Also, we werent expecting to keep them, just bring them home for a while, but now, we are so attatchen to them, we dont want to get rid of them!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Because our grandmother had them and they were so personable and fell asleep on us and we loved them! Also, we werent expecting to keep them, just bring them home for a while, but now, we are so attatchen to them, we dont want to get rid of them!

There are a lot of things that I might WANT to do, but will not because it is illegal.

You need to know the ordinances and zoning code for your property, and then you have a responsibility to adhere to it, or work to legalize the changes you would prefer. You also need to try to figure out why your neighbor is complaining. Is it because y'all are truly creating nuisances, or becasue she is an old busy body with nothing better to do?

Most cities have no code for the colour of ones residence (it is common in HOAs, though), so calling the city about your house being too bright seems odd.

9. backyardcovey

backyardcovey Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    KC
    As a fellow Olathe resident - do you have a link to the law. Read the animal control laws. As "small animals" would seem that the nuisance laws and others living within 1000 feet are the limits. Did I miss something?

I'm thinking indoor house quail. [​IMG]

10. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    You live in olathe? do you have chickens?
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by