1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pest Control

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maria09, Nov 19, 2011.

1. maria09

maria09 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    How Can I Use Chickens For Pest Control. Do They Eat Termites?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    They will eat some. The ones easily exposed or already exposed only. Using them for pest control is generally not super successful since they normally will only access the ones you aren't particularly worried about anyway. If you let them in the garden, they'll eat pests but they'll also ruin the garden.

3. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Guineas are your answer. They eat more bugs and they will not ruin a garden like chickens will. I say this from experiance. Although I never really had a bad time with chickens, unless my plants were small. They also got into the bad habit of eating my low hanging tomatoes. I had to many anyway, so I didn't really mind. As for the termites, they cant get to them if there in the wood and I don't think there going to tear down a termite mound to get them. But don't have any experiance with that. If your into gardening chickens arn't going to make you verry happy when they're tromping through it eating everything.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  4. maria09

maria09 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    Thank you:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by