pest neighbor or dog?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mom2to, Dec 7, 2010.

1. mom2to

mom2to Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    harrison
    I go outside to feed/water and check on my chickens. They are in a 100% inclosed house with runs attached to every house inside a fenced property. There is a dog running around the outside of the coop and it can not figure out how to get them. It runs up and down the fence line. I tell the kids to get their guns and I get mine with lead plus some targets. I post the targets (shotting away from the dog/chickens). We start target pratice. The kids and I are having a great time. Yes, also ready for the dog if it tries anything.

Here comes the neighbor to my fence line and asked me if I am having dog problems? [​IMG] I say no it is not my dog. He then asked me why I am shotting? [​IMG] The nerve! I am on my own propery but not his dog! I tell him we are shooting targets. He asks where? I say right there where I posted them. He then asked me what we was shotting with? I say 22s. He then goes...so your not having dog problems? I say nope it's not my dog. He and his dog go home.

If you hate ponds/barns/farm animals then you shouldn't have purchased a place in the country. Your place is called a subdivison. Yes, I have shot the neighbors dogs before for killing my birds. I just makes me mad I have to fence my property and build them a 100% inclosed coop on my propery inside the fence to keep out the neighbor's dogs off my property.

Before anyone asks, the police have been to our homes several times in the past and the police was the ones whom told me that I have the right to protect my property and own a gun so now I do.

Dang dog Dang neighbor. [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Very tricksy of you! I bet he nearly had a heart attack at the sound of the first shot. I wonder if you'll be seeing that dog again in the near future. I hope not for his sake.

Good luck.

3. No Barn Farm

No Barn Farm New Egg

Dec 7, 2010
    West Virginia
    Sounds like my place. I have a problem with cats as well. There is a neighbor down the way that is a cat lady with all their cats outside. I've caught a few in live traps, I always give them a 2nd chance before I get the gun out.

I would make it known to all dog and cat owners of their responsibility to keep their pets off your land and your right to protect yours. I don't think it makes you the bad neighbor.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It's unfortunate when it comes down to having to shoot a dog or cat to protect your flock, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do. It is your right and responsibility to protect your birds.

5. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Nothing quite like the sound of gunshots to wake up the idiots who let their dogs run.

6. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Next time he asks if you are having any dog trouble, cock your gun and respond with "Not for much longer..." [​IMG]

hehe (I couldn't resist [​IMG] )

7. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    When I first moved here the neighbors came over to tell me, I need to protect my chickens from the coons and other predators. And they asked if I had a gun. I told them my dogs would take care of the small predators and that I do have a gun or two. They when on about what type of gun, that they killed most everything with a 22. I just laughed at them and said my dogs would take care of anything they could kill with a 22. Since then they have learned my smallest long gun is a 12 ga mag and my smallest handgun is a 357 mag. And that I can hit a dog at 300 yards with my 30/06 across a pasture bothering the neighbors horses. We have many dogs in the area that run free and are welcome here for they are critter friendly. The ones that were not critter friendly, are fenced in now. The few that weren't can longer be found.

8. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:you should say... not yet, and you'd like to keep it that way hence the practice..

9. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad I legally COULD shoot a dog for 'harassing" livestock... (if I had anything stronger than an airsoft or wasp spray that is) But it sure does complicate neighbor relations should you ever have to do it.

Sorry you're having to deal with such a jerk.... maybe your practice will make him have a care for the dog that depends on him.

10. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:It doesn't complicate anything if you use the SSS method. Or if the neighbor is not a city transplant. For anyone that knows anything about livestock know, you can't have a bad dog around them. NEVER JUST WOUND THE PREDATOR, if the dog goes home wounded, that complicates things and is costly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by