Pest-Proofing an Existing Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Beanzie, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Beanzie

Beanzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    How do you go about pest-proofing an existing coop? We have two coops that we stopped using that are up in the grainery. They were fairly decent, but we had problems with coons breaking in and terrorizing the flock. We do not really NEED to use those coops, but I would like to get them nice and sturdy and maybe have them as an option. I would like to raise up some pullets to sell, plus breed a few purebreds and separate them out from other breeds. It would be nice to have more coops to utilize. Any advice?

2. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Use two-stage locks to keep the coons from getting in.

Lock down the coop every night.

Put hardware cloth or 1x2 welded wire over the windows, at the bottom, and create an apron about 18"-24" coming out from the bottom (same for the run).

Jim

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd go with 1/2" hardware cloth, coons can reach into 1x2.

Here's a graphic of an apron:
    [​IMG]

4. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    aart

Good graphic to show new people how to protect their chickens with an apron.

I used 1 x 2 welded because my chickens get locked up at night when coons come out. I still think hardware cloth is overkill unless you are trying to keep out even smaller varmints.

Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by