Pest

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Suzierd, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I noticed a hole under the chicken coop today and I'm not sure what it is. I don't know if the pest came from under the coop into the run (which is the way I'm leaning) or if it tryed to dig in under the coop from inside the run? I noticed we have ground squirrels in the area, we also get a lot of those dirt mounds that pop up all over. I'm not sure if those dirt mounds are ground squirrels or moles?
    I know the dirt looks like something dug in from the run but maybe the chickens scratched at it?
    I didnt notice it early this morning when I let the girls out but I could have been have asleep.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

When I see mounds like that in this area, it's moles. But I'm not sure for you guys. At one time I actually "saved" moles from my dogs/cats. NOT anymore; if they get ahold of one now, I just turn and walk the other way quickly. Those buggers have made a mess of my once lovely run, because my chickens start digging to China every time one of those mounds get pushed up. [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

teach... is correct,
    Lot's of moles in this part of the country. That is what those mounds look like. They also will just open holes in the ground w/o the mound.

Imp

4. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I took another picture with a quarter by the hole so you can see how big the hole is. I didnt think a mole would make that big of a hole? I hope its a mole and not something more dangerous. I can't have them making these big holes into my run or something worse might get in.
    [​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That definitely looks bigger than a mole hole. They are usually about 2" in diameter. Unless maybe there was a void in the soil and it collapsed.
    That almost looks like something was trying to dig in, with the soil outside the hole.

Outside of the mounds, here is a mole hole- the only reason I took the picture is because it was an unusually square hole. Just thought it was cool. It was about the size of a business card.

[​IMG]

6. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    It eat my bait last night without closing the trap. :( I think I need to get a smaller trap I'm using a coon trap. So off to the store today to get a rat trap. That is a odd shaped hole, that mole must have been a real square. :D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by