Pesticide and chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by itsamanda, Aug 3, 2013.

1. itsamanda

itsamanda New Egg

Jul 10, 2013
    Arkansas
    I let my chickens out into the yard a few hours a day. I only have four so bugs are still a problem. I'm wondering if I treat my yard if they can still go out?

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    My soon to be Parents-In-Law treat their yard for ticks, they have chickens also. Just keep them off the yard for a few days and they'll be fine. The same goes for herbicide, keep them off for a week or until a heavy rain.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    You could just let the chickens handle it. We used to have problems with ticks here until we got the chickens. Chickens like to eat weeds more so than grass.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  4. itsamanda

itsamanda New Egg

Jul 10, 2013
    Arkansas
    Thanks roosterscrow,hensdeliver! Good to hear from someone that has done it with no problems.

5. itsamanda

itsamanda New Egg

Jul 10, 2013
    Arkansas
    chfite I only have a few chickens and a big yard and I am still having bug problems even though my chickens free range during the day.

6. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I have the same issues with bugs in my 3 acres of yard. This spring I had my 50+ girls out in the pasture next to the yard and I was letting them range outside of their fence. They handled the bugs until I had to move them out to the back pasture. I am thinking of getting a dozen guineas to roam the yard but I know that's not going to work for most people. Herbicide wise, the chickens aren't going to get the weeds next to the house and in the driveway, so they need to get sprayed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by