Pesticides and Backyard Chickens - Need Advice, Please

desertchook

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 18, 2015
We live in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates where we have recently started our backyard chicken flock with 4 hens. Our garden is maintained by our landlord who periodically sprays our garden with pesticides.

Yesterday, I noticed he was spraying our grass with Durspan (made by Dow Chemical). Durspan is a powerful neurotoxin that has been banned for domestic use in most of the world due to the risks it poses to children, pets, livestock, and pregnant women. Apparently it is not banned in the UAE. According to Dow Chemical's website, people and animals should not access the sprayed areas for at least 24 hours. However, our chicken coop was right in the middle of the garden when the spraying took place.

Obviously, we have demanded that the landlord never spray Durspan in or around our house ever again.

So - apart for my obvious concern for the hen's health, I am also concerned about the health of the eggs that my hens are laying. Can anyone offer advice on whether we should avoid eating the eggs? If so, for how long? Any insights are welcome. Thank you.

I would call the manufacturer if at all possible. That product was never used around chickens, as far as I know. You could also try the national or US poultry experts. There won't be bugs, for sure! Mary

Back
Top Bottom