Pests and Parasites in the Rocky Mountains?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hummingbird Hollow, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    While living at 8,000 ft. in the Colorado mountains does mean we have more than our fair share of predators (mountain lions, bears, coyote, fox, owl, hawk...the occasional bobcat) I have noticed that we have very few biting insects. I can leave the windows wide open and never see a mosquito or biting fly and hardly even a house fly during the summer. I've also noticed, that unlike when we lived in Texas and New York, our cats and dogs have been flea and tick free...other than the very occasional deer tick which I'm just as likely to find on one of the kids as on a pet.

So my question is, will I be that lucky with my chickens? I hear about mites and other parasites on this forum but wonder if any folks from the mountains will share their knowledge and experience.

Thanks

2. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Any mountain men or mountain mama's out there?

3. HogbackMtnChickns

HogbackMtnChickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    Hi Hummingbird! I am not as high as you are - I am just at 5500 feet, and I am pretty new to chickens, but I think we've got better parasite odds than hot and humid places. Mites can certainly live at my altitude, but I don't think they are as prevalent. I have had plant parasitic mites in my garden - certainly different critters, but still - the possibility exists. Maybe you will be home free at 8000 feet.

The lack of cocci and parasites is our payoff for the bears/mountain lions/coyotes/mink/fishers/wolverines/weasels/raccoons/skunks/hawks/ eagles/falcons/bobcats etc that we have to weather.

I have had dogs for my entire life and the only flea my dog ever had was when we took a road trip to Washington state.

4. Mamma_Duck04

Mamma_Duck04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Crazyville, VA
    I agree. Growing up in CO shielded me from a lot lol. After leaving the state I saw my first tick & flea very shortly & haven't been able to find another place quite as bug free (except maybe IL...) I would venture to guess up in the mountains you're going to miss out on some critters because of the weather (fleas & ticks don't do as well in places that have 'hard freezes' yearly as they do in states that only have 'soft freezes' oy!) & being up in the mountains of CO, you're more likely to have better/longer freezes. But I agree, the trade-off for having to deal with mammoth predators... ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by