Pet Buckeye rooster sprained leg.

IcepakTheChickenWrangker

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2021
Hey wanted to reach out for possibilities of what to do with our PET rooster Rudy. He is a big guy, and he sprained his left leg a couple days ago. He doesn't want to walk, but he eats, and drinks just like normal. He is able to walk, but he hates the pain.

Any suggestions to get him back on track would be great.

We have given him vitamins already, and feeding him more then usual. He is currently in our garage.
20210905_113543.jpg
20210905_113538.jpg

Here's a link for you to read, post #4. I've dealt with these types of injuries:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/limping-chicken.1243650/#post-24486669

Just for your information, roosters with leg sprains or strains are more difficult to deal with while caged. Limiting their movement stresses them out and interferes with the healing process of limited movement while caged because they want to be with THEIR hens all the time.
You can try caging Rudy and see how he reacts, provide food and water and keep the cage clean as best as you can.

The roosters I had caged through a fit even when I placed them in the pen with the hens. If caging him doesnt work, it would be best if you can somehow limit his movement in the garage so his leg can heal, 100%.

As far as pain goes, you want him to have pain. Pain pills mask pain. Then when you release him and the pain pill wears off, the injured leg strain/sprain could be much worse requiring longer healing time.

Time is what heals these types of injuries. Depending on the severity of the injury, it could take several weeks to several months to heal. The key is FULL healing time. If you dont, he'll be limping again requiring a much longer healing time.

We have one that is about 8 months old with a leg sprain. It's been about 6 weeks now and it's finally getting better. He's a free-range, tree roost rooster with three hens. He gets better every day. If our older Roo would stop bossing him around - LOL It just takes time. I agree with the other posters - let him exercise if not broken.

It doesnt help the healing process if a chicken hops down or flies down from a high roost, tree, or trash can. It makes the problem worse and wont heal properly.
Strained or sprained ligaments/tendons in poultry need time to heal. Limiting movement heals quicker, exercising makes it worse. These are birds, not mammals.

Here's a link for you to read, post #4. I've dealt with these types of injuries:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/limping-chicken.1243650/#post-24486669

Just for your information, roosters with leg sprains or strains are more difficult to deal with while caged. Limiting their movement stresses them out and interferes with the healing process of limited movement while caged because they want to be with THEIR hens all the time.
You can try caging Rudy and see how he reacts, provide food and water and keep the cage clean as best as you can.

The roosters I had caged through a fit even when I placed them in the pen with the hens. If caging him doesnt work, it would be best if you can somehow limit his movement in the garage so his leg can heal, 100%.

As far as pain goes, you want him to have pain. Pain pills mask pain. Then when you release him and the pain pill wears off, the injured leg strain/sprain could be much worse requiring longer healing time.

Time is what heals these types of injuries. Depending on the severity of the injury, it could take several weeks to several months to heal. The key is FULL healing time. If you dont, he'll be limping again requiring a much longer healing time.
So if he forces himself to sit around all day, that's not a bad thing? I thought that was a motivation issue.

What he does is he finds a comfy place to just sit and half-sleep all day, and doesn't do anything a rooster would usually do (haven't heard him crow in a week). I either walk him to his food, or give him food where he lays. On these recent hot days, I've put him in the garage by himself.

I feel like he is getting better, but extremely slowly. I guess what you said about time makes sense, but I don't want to make the injury longer but catering to him.

Sitting/sleeping around all day is a good thing in this instance. It means it's painful for him to be up and about walking around. Also gives it the time to slowly heal on its own.
Hopefully your garage has a fan or a/c to keep him somewhat comfortable. I know how hot it can get in a garage in the summer without a fan or a/c.

Think about this: Have you ever had a sprained ankle? I have, and I know it's super painful to try and walk on it.

Back
Top Bottom