Pet carrier Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lashla, Jan 25, 2014.

1. lashla

lashla Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Hello BYC! I just got my first two chicks....A Barred Rock and a Buff Orpington.

I decided to make my brooder out of a pet carrier. This is my first time raising chicks so I would really appreciate some feedback! I'm keeping them warm with a 250 watt red heating lamp. I put a puppy pad down and then covered it with shredded pine bedding, but the Orpington was pecking at the bedding and I was afraid she'd swallow some, so I put some straw on top.

I came home with some starter feed, and also some grit. How do I put grit in with the feed and how much should I do?

The Orpington is quite the peeper....she peeps LOUD! Does this mean she's uncomfortable? Or bored? They aren't running to the back of the brooder so they aren't too hot....they also aren't close up to the gate so I don't think they're too cold. They both have water. Anything I can do to quiet her down? -Lauren

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Hi Lauren [​IMG]!
    She doesn't like something and that is the reason she is loud. Some chickens just don't like light all the time, if that is what is bothering her there is nothing you can do about it. I would drape a towel over the holes in the crate so they don't have a draft. You don't mix grit in with the feed, you put it in a bowl by itself and they will eat it when needed. They don't need grit with chick feed. When they start eating treats and stuff from the ground you will have to give them access to grit. Heat lamps can be a danger if they fall. I would suggest to have it secured to a second source by zip ties or rope so that if it does fall it won't hit the towel and start a fire.

3. lashla

Jan 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Thanks for responding! The brooder is in my closet so there is certainly no draft. The chicks have quieted down now. They are probably tired out after the stressful car ride.

I put the towel down because the plastic was getting pretty warm. There's a flap-like compartment on top of the pet carrier (maybe to hold pet treats?) so I opened the top so I could clamp the lamp to it. But you are very right....I need to secure it even more. Hmm.

4. lashla

Jan 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Also, I didn't have any marbles or aquarium pebbles to put in the water bowl so I just grabbed some small-ish rocks from outside and washed them thoroughly in hot water with soap. Hopefully that does the job!

5. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    That works. Great idea on the pet carrier too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by