Pet Chicken eats like a horse, but not gaining weight - breast boney

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kipper002, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Kipper002

Kipper002 New Egg

Sep 15, 2011
    I have 1 Rhode Island Red cross with Leghorn hen, and she's a pet. She eats like a horse but not gaining weight. She's also laying. Is this normal? She lives in doors. She has no mites, not sick. She's her usual self. Anything to worry about?

Lorraine

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    What does she eat?

Has she ever been outside, or in contact with poo from any other animal? She could have worms.

3. Kipper002

Kipper002 New Egg

Sep 15, 2011
    She's never been outside. She lives in apartment bldg. she eats organic pellets and crumble + EM 1 for wellbeing in water. How would she get worms?

4. Kipper002

Kipper002 New Egg

Sep 15, 2011
    Is it possible that she got worms from the food or she's had worms since she was a chick?

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    To be honest with you, it may be failure to thrive based upon the fact that she has nothing like a normal life.

Chickens are very social animals, they prefer their own kind. She may be very lonely.
    Does she have access to chicken grit? If not, her food is not getting digested and well absorbed, it's just passing through.
    Chickens need to scratch in dirt, get lots of fresh air and real sunshine, not the kind filtered through windows.
    Exercise is very important for hens, too. Having never been outside, I doubt she is getting much.

Good luck with her- if she were mine, I would find her a new, more suitable, home until I had a better way to keep chickens as they were meant to be.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:X2

7. SebrightLuver

SebrightLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011

x3

8. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I agree.

9. ragnar1107

ragnar1107 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    Elkhorn Wisconsin
    Really you keep a chicken in an apartment? Wow that seems so unnatural, they need socialization, to be apart of a pecking order, grass and bugs. There are some animals like sheep that you just cannot keep by themselves and I expect chickens are to some degree the same.

10. Kipper002

Kipper002 New Egg

Sep 15, 2011
    Well, she may not have a normal life, but her home is here because the zoo won't take her. Only one farm would take her, but she would be used as meat after she's done laying. I didn't want her to be slaughtered. Pet store where I got her was dirty, and she was the smallest one getting pecked by the other chicks at the time.

She's gets grit, and loves to at meat. She loves my daughter and husband, and always hangs out with them. The local chicken hatchery where I get her organic food says there are a lot of people here with pet chickens. I'm wondering if she got worms from the time she was a chick in the dirty pet store where I got her. Is that possible?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by