Pet chicken is sick (multitude of reasons), help would be much appreciated!

helppleaseono

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2019
I'll try to make this short because everyone is freaking out right now (including me) but our (about 4 year old) chicken has not been eating (or barely eating) for around a week and now she can barely stand. My parents isolated her in a small box and now she is in the bathroom sleeping. We've given her all her favourite foods but she refuses to eat any and she only takes a few sips of water every couple of hours. Her feathers are all big and ruffled and she has been molting a lot for a while. All the vets are closed and we're worried she wont make the night because it gets really cold here in Melbourne at nighttime. She has only pooped once during this whole time and it was really watery and looked kind of like yellow water + white acrylic paint and it stinks really bad. Even if she does make the night, no one will be home to look after her tomorrow because I have school in the morning and my parents have to go to work. Please help us!! Poppy is my only pet and my best friend and I really don't want to lose her!

:welcome :frow It's hard to say what is wrong. Try to get her to eat and drink. If she has crumbles try something like a mash. Sometimes a bird will eat the mash better. Maybe try some water with some vitamins in it or something like Gatorade for her to drink. Just suggestions since we can't really examine her. B complex can help with her appetite. Some birds live longer than others for a multitude of reasons. A few months ago I lost my favorite bird to a predator. I still blame myself for loosing her. Good luck.

Welcome to BYC, sorry your hen is sick.:hugs I think the best thing to do is keep her in your house in a warm room (80-85 degrees is ideal for sick birds). When you wake up, take her to a vet. If you cannot take her to a better us know and we will try to help you.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses. It is morning now and she just woke up. she is now standing still but her pupils keep dilating and getting bigger (back and forth) + her poo has turned from white to yellow. Here are some pictures I took (although the camera quality+lighting isnt that good) :
IMG-1961.JPG
IMG-1962.JPG
IMG-1959.JPG

Just got back from school and called all the vets in my area. Apparently none of them know a thing about chickens and can't help me. Even the ones hours away from here don't know what to do. so i cant go to a professional for help

I've noticed her chest is really squishy and feels like a balloon filled with air. Also it makes a gurgling noise when i press on it, Sour crop?

Last edited:
ive discovered it was sour crop because i tried the regurgitate method and heaps came out. She has vomited heaps (3 times) but still not eating.. I dont have any of the medicine youre supposed to use for sour crop and im not sure if youre supposed to feed it to her or rub it on her (since its a cream). Is there anything else I can do?

ive discovered it was sour crop because i tried the regurgitate method and heaps came out. She has vomited heaps (3 times) but still not eating.. I dont have any of the medicine youre supposed to use for sour crop and im not sure if youre supposed to feed it to her or rub it on her (since its a cream). Is there anything else I can do?
Sour crop is usually caused by something else going on with the bird.
Have you ever dewormed her and have you ever had to treat for coccidiosis?

Back
Top Bottom