1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pet Chicken Transpo Cross States

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by WeedEater, Sep 7, 2009.

1. WeedEater

WeedEater Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Look, I can google with the best of them, but do any of you kind folks out there have any quick links to what I need to look up about moving my chickens with us cross-country? I'd rather not give up my good layers and especially not my prized Dominiques. Containing them is not half the issue as much as worrying if I'm breaking the law or running into issues of biosecurity. Any and all help appreciated!

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Your fine except for Cali~
    they will stop you at the border. I traveled cross country 4 times with pets. Cali is the only one who stopped us at the border. My plants had to be house plants never planted in the ground and no livestock. They were asking if my cats have ever been outside, they hadn't so i was good!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Arizona also has border stations where they periodically stop everyone.

You could look up the websites for the states through which you will be driving and see what their requirements are for importing; however, if you are merely driving through, they may be more lenient. You do need to ascertain the requirements for importing to your ultimate destination.

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    We got into California with all three of the birds we brought with us... and the entering-the-state-questioner noticed the Seramas! It was close but we made it! I THINK California only cares about fruit and vegetables. Oregon and Washington pretty much say "who cares, anyway?"

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Cali did care about my pets.
    And arizona never stopped us, but i did see others stopped. I wasn't sure why they stopped? i can say this, go onto the state sites and find out. Maybe they have info. I wouldn't worry. Where are you moving to?

6. WeedEater

WeedEater Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Central Virginia
    We're hoping to make it from Virginia to either Washington or Oregon within a year....Our flock will undoubtedly get a little thinner if we can plan the move, but I at least want to keep my "best of the best" from my easter eggers, dominiques, RIRs and welsummers!

7. kangarooster

kangarooster New Egg

Sep 12, 2009
    Best of luck on your move! Here's quick link that will take you to all the states' poultry import requirements:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_states.shtml

Generally, you can't move poultry into a state without a veterinary health certificate. Or you aren't *supposed* to, that is [​IMG] It's not very likely that you'll be stopped. But, if you are, or if anyone or any bird ever became sick and accused your birds of being the source, and you don't have that health certificate, then you could be in BIG trouble. I wouldn't risk it.

It's my understanding that you only need to follow the requirements of the state that you are moving to, not *every* state that you might be travelling through. I'm not totally sure though (that part of my vet education is getting a bit rusty).

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Having traveled to and through many state via numerous car trips, there are very, very few that have border stations. The only ones I have ever encountered were in Arizona and California. I have not driven across all state lines, so I cannot say that no other state has them. I do know that I have not encountered border stations in driving into Utah, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, Iowa, Wyoming, South & North Dakota, Indiana, Vermont, Massachusetts, Maryland, Virginia, Colorado, Wisconsin and maybe some that I am forgetting.

9. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    kangarooster -- What an AMAZINGLY USEFUL link!!!!!!!! The mods should stickie it! Thank you very much for sharing!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by