pet chickens in an Industrial Park?!?

ChicknBaron

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 12, 2012
Marysville KS
I have chicken's at my dads shop in an small town industrial park but his business os concrete, if they said "no chickens in town!" Could i argue that i sell eggs and thats a business?? Even though thats not what it was there for in the first place?? Or do chicken laws just straight up not apply in industrial parks?? They havent said anything yet but i suspect if i get to many or a loud rooster then they might take them away!

You probably need to check with the zoning department. If it's zoned for retail sales, and producing eggs is considered "agricultural", then they might not allow you to do it. If they are OK then no problem.

If not I would talk to your neighbors first. If they don't live there, rooster crowing shouldn't bother them. You can offer some eggs in appreciation.

Let us know how it goes. I'm considering to get a business property myself in a city currently now allowing chickens.

You need to call your local animal control and find out what kind of pets are allowed in your area. Just because it is urban or industrial doesn't mean chickens aren't allowed. Every city is different.

You also to research what the laws are in your area for selling food products. People can often get away with selling eggs locally out of their home without problems, but selling eggs and other food products at a farmers market or place of business is much more serious and there are often permit/inspections/certifications/etc and things you need to do before you can legally do that.

It would be best to do your homework first so that you do not end up getting fined.

We live on-site of our business (concrete too!) and have 21 chickens. Its not an industrial park, but we are zoned 'Industrial.' The rules here are very strange. If we were in the city limits we could keep as many chickens as we wanted, as long as the neighbors didn't complain about noise or smell. However, we are outside the city and chickens are only allowed in areas zoned 'Agricultural.' The zoning code here also specifically bans any kind of poultry or hoofed animal from being a pet. We knew all this, but decided to get chickens anyway. Since no one lives on the street except us and we don't plan on free-ranging them during the workday, we figure no one will notice.

You should read the zoning code for your area and you might want to check if the industrial park has its own covenants. I wouldn't claim to be selling the eggs until you check what your state's laws are on that as well. You may need to have some kind of license in order to sell eggs to the public.

We live on-site of our business (concrete too!) and have 21 chickens. Its not an industrial park, but we are zoned 'Industrial.' The rules here are very strange. If we were in the city limits we could keep as many chickens as we wanted, as long as the neighbors didn't complain about noise or smell. However, we are outside the city and chickens are only allowed in areas zoned 'Agricultural.' The zoning code here also specifically bans any kind of poultry or hoofed animal from being a pet. We knew all this, but decided to get chickens anyway. Since no one lives on the street except us and we don't plan on free-ranging them during the workday, we figure no one will notice.

You should read the zoning code for your area and you might want to check if the industrial park has its own covenants. I wouldn't claim to be selling the eggs until you check what your state's laws are on that as well. You may need to have some kind of license in order to sell eggs to the public.

I just give the eggs to people at church, not at a farmers market, so i don't really have to worry about that, but i'm still working on even Finding a city booklet thing on all the ordinances, zoning, and junk.

Back
Top Bottom