Pet chickens may be plucked from owners?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Barnyard Dawg, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    Aren't we all over infested with rats!?! [​IMG] I haven't seen rats nor mice, not even droppings.

I love the bull..... that people makeup in order to impinge upon the rights of others.

The article goes on about how loud chickens are then later in the article it says almost all the complaints were about roosters.....

Bubba

PS Who really wants to live in Chi-Tonw (Not mispelled/slang) anyways? [​IMG]

2. Cocky

Cocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    "This year, the city received more than 700 complaints about chickens — though mostly about the racket from roosters."

I bet most of these complaints were by the same 5-10 people.

It is funny how uneducated some people who think they are educated can be.

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Although there are no firm statistics on the number of city chickens, they are becoming so popular that Backyard Poultry magazine was relaunched a couple of years ago after halting publication in the 1980s.

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Babies are higher in decibels than roosters crowing...
    Think we should ban babies???[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

For that matter, so is farm machinery, lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc. I figure a few roosters crowing at 3 a.m. is just fine if the neighbors can use a humongous tractor to mow their 3 acre lawn every Friday and shoot off guns in the dark at 11 p.m. while playing country music.

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I'm infested with chipmunks, but a stray cat that decided to move into my barn is taking care of that situation. I however have only seen one mouse and that was in the mouth of my cat. [​IMG] and i do believe came from my house. [​IMG]

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Ever hear a sanitation truck dumpng a dumpster at 3 a.m.? Much more disturbing than any rooster!

How about the noise from a street sweeper?
    A Jackhammer?

Somebody with chickens in Chicago please take these aldermen by the hand and go to a pet shop, buy a feeder rat and take them to the chicken run and turn the rat loose!
    Take a video and send it to all the local news stations.

Let them watch what happens when the rat touches the ground in that run, then let them try to continue with this story about chickens attracting rats. [​IMG]

Join in with local cat lovers, tell the aldermen if the city has a rat problem, the city just needs more cats!

Point out that pigeons draw more rats and leave way more droppings than chickens, how sanitary could that be?

Tell them to go ban pigeons.
    [​IMG]
    Tell them to go pound sand! (on second thought, that may not help the cause)

8. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Like I said in my other post. These people are ignorant. This is just like pitbull bans. soon they will say chickens will gouge your eyes out and eat them with there large talons

9. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

This whole phenom of Complaining Neighbors seems so odd! The only ones who might even have right to say anything would be immediate neighbors, so that's what, three or four houses (two on each side, one in back, one...what is that other one?).

Wouldn't a dozen eggs go a long way to smooth things? I know some folks are cranky, but jeez! Maybe it is just a few people moaning? I think the news should do some reporting and find out how BROAD the dislike for chickens is.

Could it be that my love of chickens is not, OMG, universal!??? Say it ain't so!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by