Pet Crippled Quail

carmenkick

Hatching
Jan 4, 2022
So I took in a crippled baby quail because my in-laws hatched her and the others were pecking her to death. She’s missing one leg from the knee up (I think that’s a knee) and the other she has 2 kinda deformed toes. I think one of her wings is a little wonky too but she uses it to catch herself when she falls over so maybe she’s just holding it out as a crutch. Anyway I’ve had her a couple weeks now and she’s doing great and has doubled in size at least. All her peck marks are healed and she’s growing in adult feathers. She’s around 5 weeks old and I’m still using the lamp but plan to try her a few hours this weekend with it off to see if she tolerates. I read that feeding them gamebird food forever wasn’t a good idea because they can get fat and with Her struggling to get around anyway I was wondering if (and when) I should switch her over to layer feed or is she fine? I legit know nothing about raising quail but she’s just precious and I couldn’t stand to let her die in with the others. We’re going to build a tractor/run thing outside in our yard this spring but she’s inside with us until then I guess. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

If you're going to switch her over to layer feed it should be after she starts to lay. Otherwise you can get a standard game bird crumble that is around 20% protein for her.
Okay that’s what she’s getting right now. Does it hurt to switch brands? They had them on “nutrena country feeds gamebird” and she told me to keep her feed the same but they don’t sell that anywhere around here. Does it matter so long as I find something with a similar mix of nutrients? Thanks fo much!

Okay that’s what she’s getting right now. Does it hurt to switch brands? They had them on “nutrena country feeds gamebird” and she told me to keep her feed the same but they don’t sell that anywhere around here. Does it matter so long as I find something with a similar mix of nutrients? Thanks fo much!
It's okay to change her feed, but don't do it all at once. When I change feeds I'll mix the old and new feed for about a week, starting with a little of the new feed and increasing until all of the old feed is gone.

So I took in a crippled baby quail because my in-laws hatched her and the others were pecking her to death. She’s missing one leg from the knee up (I think that’s a knee) and the other she has 2 kinda deformed toes. I think one of her wings is a little wonky too but she uses it to catch herself when she falls over so maybe she’s just holding it out as a crutch. Anyway I’ve had her a couple weeks now and she’s doing great and has doubled in size at least. All her peck marks are healed and she’s growing in adult feathers. She’s around 5 weeks old and I’m still using the lamp but plan to try her a few hours this weekend with it off to see if she tolerates. I read that feeding them gamebird food forever wasn’t a good idea because they can get fat and with Her struggling to get around anyway I was wondering if (and when) I should switch her over to layer feed or is she fine? I legit know nothing about raising quail but she’s just precious and I couldn’t stand to let her die in with the others. We’re going to build a tractor/run thing outside in our yard this spring but she’s inside with us until then I guess. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Hope they keep doing well , and welcome to byc :welcome would love pics of your poor rescue, I used to have a one leg button who learned to hop faster then normal ones run 💜

503EC0FD-8B7C-45A6-B84F-1FEC28B8E026.jpeg
E898C7B8-C1F5-46D3-9B2F-6012187C42A4.jpeg
Hennifer the footless quail!

Okay, update. Hennifer is right about 5 weeks now. She’s probably tripled in size and isn’t getting around nearly as good. Her little nub and deformed leg can’t really support her increasing weight. We did 3D print something to help, but the problem is her nub is right at the bend of the ankle so she essentially walks on her shin. She did better on a “ski leg” to help her not fall forward. The other leg (the one with toes) is literally connected to her body sideways . So it’s splayed out behind her but nearly useless. She pushes a little with it but can’t balance on the shorter nub up front. It’s so sad. I’m not sure how much bigger she’ll get but that poor little leg can’t support more weight. Any ideas on a good rough (but not too rough because she’s scooting that “shin”) to put in her cage so she can get better traction?

This quail can't move his two legs
View attachment 2965476
Awe, Hennifer was actually getting around so much better. I cut up a dollar tree door nat so she’d have some traction and she was able to stay upright and kinda hop around on her peg leg. We had planned to alter our 3D printed foot to accommodate the angle she was using her leg. Unfortunately we came home Sunday and she had suddenly passed. She was completely fine when we left - happy as can be - but died. I know she woulda had a rough life but it was still so sad!

Awwww I'm really sorry your chick died. I just lost my littlest one and am left with 1 four week old chick now who I adore and am afraid she may suddenly die too so now I spend hoards of time with her ...

I still don't know what happened to the other chick, so sad isn't it?

we're very close..

Back
Top Bottom