1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pet dogs as predators???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jamijb, Sep 17, 2009.

1. jamijb

jamijb New Egg

Sep 17, 2009
    I do not have chickens yet but I am wondering if pet dogs (Doberman, Boston Terrier and Australian shepherd) would be predatory towards these birds? I plan on getting some and would coop them but also would like them to roam free. Also is there any problems with dog do do or chicken doo? As in will chickens eat dog poop or will the dogs eat the chicken poop and can this transmit disease or sickness? I am new to this forum and excited to be here! : )

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I have 5 dogs, different breeds. Only one of them wants to eat my chickens. I keep him away from the birds unless I am in the yard with him. So it depends on the dog. One of my dogs, a female corgi has become very protective of my flock. She sits among them when they free range and watches out for them. It's amazing really. We have some chicks in the brooder in the house and she watches over them all day. She will not let our other dog who chases the chickens anywhere near them. They are safe in a cage, but she won't let the other dog in that room.

The dogs do eat the chicken poop. YUCK! but I have not seen my chickens eat any dog poop.

Good Luck.

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I just lost 37 chickens and 5 guineas to my own 2 dogs. My dogs were in their own run, the chickens were in their own run. My chickens SHOULD have been safe but due to several mistakes they weren't.

1) Our husky dug under their fence and my husband waited to fix the problem.
    2) We decided the dogs wouldn't be outside until their run was fixed. My husband was tired, forgot and just let them out. The husky redug out from under the fence. Two of our four dogs escaped.
    3) My husband, when he let the chickens out of the coop that morning neglected to relatch the chickens gate. (this has been fixed with an automatic latching system now)
    4)When the dogs escaped, they were able to get into the chicken run and massacre all the chickens and guineas.

Although I always thought my dogs could be a danger to my chickens, I never thought they would be. I thought that my chickens were safe! I know differently now. Unfortunately, so many of my babies had to lose their lives in order for this lesson to be learned. It's been a week ago today and I'm still sick over it.

Laurie

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    My Aussie and lab mix hang out with the chickens and ducks. I was really concerned when I first introduced everybody because the Aussie is not quite 1 1/2 and still wound for sound, but all he does is herd the ducks around when he gets bored. The lab mix is 5 and very dominant, but she accepted the new critters as part of "her" farm so all is well.

We have lots of coyotes and other predators around here so while my dogs don't actively guard the flock I feel better about free ranging my bird during the day with the dogs out.

I'd suggest doing introductions thru the fence with only one dog at a time. I did that and then put each dog on a leash and brought them into the run with me for an hour or so (bring a book!) I didn't leave poultry and dogs unsupervised for a couple of weeks, but now it's great and I can leave during the day and not have to coax everyone into the coops.

Just go slow and watch for changes in their behaviour when the dogs are all out together. Sometimes an animal that is fine on its own is not trustworthy when in a pack.

Good luck!!

5. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    My rottie/shepard wants to eat my chickens. My pitt/mastiff could care less about them and my pitt/lab that recently died was great with them.It depends on the individual animal and training,

6. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    I don't think my lab and akita want to eat them, but they really, really want to play with the soft, squeaky silkie-things that mom keeps yelling at them to stay away from.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    While some well trained dogs do not attack chicken members of the family, there are too many cases to count where dogs do attack and maim or kill chickens they "live with". Recommend spending significant time reading the countless posts in the Predator and in the Emergencies section about dog attacks and then you can assess the risk and what would be involved in trying to create a fail safe situation. It is a major commitment. There are many folks who thought they had a good thing going but as soon as they left the dog alone with the birds, the birds were toast. Note that this doesn't happen all the time (as in one of the posts here) but it happens a lot. There is hardly a worse way for the birds to die.
    JJ

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Always assume that the dogs will hurt the birds and make preparations to keep them separate. Some dogs are great with birds, but never assume just because the dog is laid back and sweet that it will be able to resist active, running prey.

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Most dogs will attack chickens. My dog won't bother them, but he will eat their poop. [​IMG] So far, the chickens seem to have no interest in dog poop. It's normal for dogs to eat chicken poop, Gross, but normal.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Having had one disaster between my Lab and a hen, I have decided not to tempt fate ever again.

I'd love it if they got along, but the mild Lab just went crazy and reverted to cave dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by