Pet Doors

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stacia907, Nov 11, 2009.

1. stacia907

stacia907 New Egg

Nov 1, 2009
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Can/Will chickens learn to use a pet door? I recently installed a cat door in my coop hoping my girls would learn how to "push" through it to access their run. Has anyone heard of this and if so how did you get your chickens to learn how to go through the door?

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Probably but that's not very predator safe. I'd want to have a wooden door over it that I could lock down at night. All it would take is a piece of plywood, some hinges, and a latch or bolt lock. Otherwise some night you will probably lose some chickens to something going through your pet door into the coop. Even a locking pet door probably won't keep much out and plenty of people have thought if they had a pen around they coop they were safe only to keep losing chickens and having to upgrade weak spots in the pen over and over again. When we used to have cat doors on our house we had possums, raccoons, and the occasional skunk inside to eat the cat food. Also one time a huge bull snake used the door to get in looking for heat during the fall. Small stray dogs could also use the door and while you may think if it's smaller it can't do as much damage think again. I lost over a dozen chickens to a stupid miniature pincher who's head didn't even come to my knee.

3. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I use a pet door but took off the hanging plastic and lock them in at night with the locking panel that came with it. Havent't had any predator problems so far and I don't know what could get it open. It locks in pretty tight.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

From what I've heard, some people have had success training them to use them by taping them up for a few days and then lowering them. I would think that training them just like a dog or cat would work, with treats. I'm making a "weather barrier" for my pop door out of heavy duty clear vinyl strips (they sell vinyl "cloth" at most fabric stores) made into a curtain...similar to some pet doors. I'll still shut my pop door each evening, but this will help cut down on the cold winter air blowing in during the day when my pop door is open. Since my pop door is inside the coop, this "curtain" door will be mounted on the outside. That's going to be my weekend project.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by