Pet Duck Breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by backyardflock1, Nov 9, 2014.

1. backyardflock1

backyardflock1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Hi, I have chickens and these would be my first ducks. I have heard pekins are very friendly so that is what I'm going for so far. Anyone have any recommendations for a friendly pet duck breed? Which breeds require the most and least living space? Also I have been wondering, is there any temperament difference between drake and female ducks? Thanks :)

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I would recommend (I've raised several types and these are all my favs) muscovy (they don't quack but are VERY personable and puppy dog like), calls (loud but can be trained to come when called and trained to come for treats, plus they are small so more cuddly), or anconas (calm, lay lots of eggs, don't fly)

3. backyardflock1

Jan 22, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the opinion! :) I'm going to wait for everyone's opinions to come in and then I'll make a decision.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    The bigger question would be what do you want from ducks? that plays a massive role in which breed suits.

I have Pekin but they are large and do eat a fare bit so they would be on the high level for space and food, quite personable but very water based, they have figured out a way to loosen my spray nozzle if i leave the hose on but the nozzle off...

I do have a drake, he's good but less noisy so if noise matters then drakes are always a better choice than ducks, bringing the noise equation in they are loud they quack, chatter and make a ruckus so if that is an issue i would probably not choose them, they are good layers too... out of my 5 a few are still laying.

For the least amount of feed, space that would be calls, i have those too lol They are very cute, easy to handle BUT they fly and well both sexes and are loud(females) and i mean LOUD what they lack in size they make up for in voice, now the drakes are quiet though, the laying is poor mine quit months ago.

I have other breeds too, Muscovy and buff... Muscovy are the top dog forager.. but they are unique in the duck world as they are not mallard derived so their habits and behaviours are rather unusual, they roost, they fly, they rarely quack... they have massive claws... etc.

They are actually documented for their fly eating ability and are massively broody ducks i mean like a silkie... so if you dislike that sorta thing they are not for you.

Buff i am neutral on, they are good layers, loud and frankly mine are spazzy lol nice looking duck, good forager.. don't fly and are pretty much inbetween for sizing and feed consumption being a medium breed.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  5. backyardflock1

Jan 22, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I am mainly looking for friendliness. Less noisy is a plus. Feed doesn't matter too much. For water I could get a small water pool. But friendliness is the biggest thing for me, as it would be a pet. So for drake vs female is the only difference the drake makes less noise or is there any temperament difference like roosters and hens where roosters are more territorial? Thanks :)

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Drakes once they become sexually mature want to mate alot so if you wanted drakes and ducks you should have any where from 2 to 4 females for each drake you have. My Muscovy drakes are much friendlier than my ducks are. Both sexes wag their tails. If you decide on either sex please get at least 2 since ducks do prefer their own kind. But if you decide on drakes and ducks try to keep it at 1 drake to 2-4 ducks. Much better for the females.

7. backyardflock1

Jan 22, 2014
    Massachusetts
    If I were to get two drakes would they be okay with not mating? Are drakes more friendly than ducks in general, and are they more friendly when they aren't around females? because I am trying to get the friendliest duck possible in theory. Would drakes be less friendly to humans when with a female duck? Thanks :)

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You'll have a dominant drake and 2nd in command so to speak. When I met my first 2 drakes they lived on the river below our home and they were fine together did everything together, then I went and got Muscovy ducks for them, oh boy that changed the dynamics in a hurry. The dominant one started coming up to the house to visit the ladies and that meant the other drake got left out. So if no females you may see the dominant one mount the lesser but they will still get along okay, some on here have all drake flocks. Then again you may have another problem, They will imprint on you if ducklings and then they will want you for their girl, Then you have to begin training them into realizing you are not a duck and they can't have you. I've never had this problem out of any of my drakes that hatched here and were cared for by their mamas, they are friendly as far as eating out of my hand but the drake I hand raised because his mama rejected him now he was a hand full till I finally got through to him I wouldn't be in his harem. This isn't just Muscovy's it's any domestic breed of drake. They get confused. A drake by himself would probably be friendlier but it may be extreme in how friendly he is, a drake with a female will be more focused on his mates but will still be friendly towards you, or at least mine that I hand raised is. He is now over 3 yrs old and still likes to get petted and hugged on. lol and he has 2 girls. I still have to remind him at times I am not part of his harem though. Ducks can be friendly but they will never be like a dog .

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  9. backyardflock1

Jan 22, 2014
    Massachusetts
    What would be the friendliest possible combination because metzer can ship two ducks and I am trying to find which breed and which gender to get for the two. Which combination do you think would be best? Thanks :)

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Okay do you want eggs? get 2 females if your getting ducklings they will bond to you. If you don't care about eggs or ducklings then get 2 drakes[ducklings] . You can also get drake and duck and just take any eggs when laid then you won't have to worry about ducklings and alot of breeds [females] don't go broody anyway. You've been on their website which breeds appeal to you? Other than Muscovy and that's the only breed I have, I like Runners, Buffs, Anconas, Breeds like Khaki Campbell are great egg layers so are Pekin, Your going to have to make the final decision, if Me I would do 2 females only because you'll have less worry over a drake getting out of hand when sexually mature and you'll get eggs. But maybe you should consider 3 that way if something happened during transit or after they arrive there would still be 2. and 1 more wouldn't take up much more room. Think about it and let us know what you decide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by