Pet Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jwg423, Jul 17, 2011.

1. jwg423

jwg423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    My 6 year old son wants a duck, and we are thinking of getting him a pair next spring as I assume that just one would be lonely...

We will be new to ducks and I don't know what is the best type of duck to have as a pet for a 6 year old.

Any suggestions?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Depends on the 6 year old and his family. [​IMG]

A search through topics on the Duck forum would help - we've had some good discussions on "the best ducks."

I think you'd want a breed that's pretty calm and easy going. If you have a drake, it will be better to have three to six females - and be ready to explain the facts of life if you haven't yet.

I have Indian runners and they are wonderful! They are high maintenance, though, in that to get them so wonderful I spent many hours with them. When I was a teenager I had Pekins. They were really sweet.

Many breeds are good if you can spend the time with them. I'll let others offer their ideas . . . .

3. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    I have a pekin and an indian runner. Despite hours and hours, the runner is a jerk of major proportions. He will not let us hold him unless we capture him and force him. The pekin is a jerk, but sweet. She will let us hold her, will walk up to us, eat treats from our hands, and likes to yell at me. loud.

4. jwg423

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    Well, I have 3 boys and my 6 year old is the youngest and my kiddos are pretty good with animals.
    My 6 year old is the type of kid that will walk around and all the animals follow him around. I have caught him out sitting in the chicken brooder holding a one way conversation with the chicks all by himself, too cute!
    We have pigs, chickens and a dog at home now.
    He has been told about the facts of life, though he may be slightly confused because was upset when I had our dog spayed, He was upset that she couldn't have any puppies and then shared a good idea he had with us: "She can still lay an egg and we can just put it in the incubator" [​IMG]

I think we were hoping for 2 females, but mom and dad may have to have a discussion about if we want to try having a drake... in that case we may have 6-7 ducklings [​IMG]

Thank you for your help, I will do some researching [​IMG]

5. jwg423

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    Oh yes, and we live on 5 acres land surrounded by field and farm so we are not horribly concerned about noise. I have some noisy roosters and I may be a little strange, but I enjoy hearing them crow [​IMG]

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know I met a woman the other day, who's friend has runner ducks and say they're crazy. Plus they would grab young chickens and drowned them??? I have Black swedish and a buff, the BS is a loud mouth but if you are out in the country that should not be a problem and she is a bit bossy both ducks are nice. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  7. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Well if the child is gentle and realises that the ducks can't be chased or patted. They probably won't want to be physically touched by him a lot. They just don't like that. You'd have to catch them (Which can be easy if you know how) and hold them out for him to pet. You also have to consider how sanitary they are. Ducks are nasty. I love mine but they are gross. The will poop in your arms, they will not hold it, they do not know how. So if you're squemish about poo it may be a poor idea. Also you have to consider the type of duck you want and how that will effect your child. In my experiance with kids and animals, they're cool for a summer and then they ignore them. The longer time a duck goes without socialization from people the less human friendly it will be. Also if your child doesn't want his duckie any more you can NOT take it to the park. Ducks at the park only live on average a year. Bread is a big no no for them and that's all they get to eat there. Also some ducks can fly and some can't. They'll smack you and the kid in the face with their wings... it doesn't hurt but it can really freak children out so make sure you have a well socialized duck and a firm hold on him.

Over all if you're ready for it and YOU want a duck too (adults tend to commit more) then yes yes yes! Totally go for it. I have welsh harlequins (They are supposed to be great with kids if raised around them) and they are adorable. I can watch them for hours. We sit and "talk" back and forth. I'll fuss and them and they'll talk back. I got mine older because that is what my facility was set up for. Young ducks will need a heat lamp and a climate controled space (usually in your house and my parents would NOT let me XD) but it's one of the best decisions I've ever made! They are over all a joy. As a warning though if you have other animals or coyotes around be SURE to always lock them up at night. My first ducklings were trampled to death by my horses. The other animals can't be blamed, it's just their nature to investigate or hunt. So be careful! I don't want you to have to go through that pain because you WILL get attached.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There are duck people who raise calls, and if handled properly, they can be kind of cuddly. They are small (loud, but why not?) and there is a wide variety of coloring.

Hmmm. Calls . . . .

9. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    I have 4 little kids and they have pet chickens, got the calm docile kind that like to eat tootsie pops...now we are venturing into ducks. Which breeds are best, which ones does he like to look at? For instance a favorite color? I ordered ducks, 2 for each child and got black and whites, green, white, buff and chocolates (10 got me cheap shipping [​IMG] Should be a blast for your son! Good luck.

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I like all breeds of ducks and I think you can simply choose the ones who look the prettiest to you.

Of mine, my Silver Appleyards are extra big and very calm natured. They tend to be quiet and not get upset easily. They are excellent layers and very good table birds. Also, I think they are the most beautiful of all the ducks.

Welsh Harlequins are the best choice for a breed that lays lots of eggs. Most of the egg laying breeds are more high strung and WH are the most calm of the bunch. If what you want is a good source of eggs. Also, they are very beautiful.

I've got some Pekins right now who are in-your-face friendly. They climb all over me. I don't know if that is a breed characteristic, or it is just birds from this specific breeder. The Blue Swedish I got from him have the same wonderful temperament and that is not happening with Swedish from a hatchery. Those Swedish are high strung and freaked out about every little change.

Pekins have a reputation for being exceptionally noisy. Personally, I don't care for the solid white color, but many people like it. Pekins are large ducks and very fast growing. They are intended to be table ducks, but make good pets. Not the breed I'd choose if I wanted eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by