PET FOOD RECALL Mars food from walmart

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Anny, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    oct 28
    NEW YORK -- Another breakout of a Salmonella contamination prompted Mars Petcare US to recall a limited amount of its "Special Kitty Gourmet Blend" dry cat food yesterday.

The potentially tainted food was being sold at Wal-Mart stores in Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont and West Virginia, according to a statement released Monday.

This is Mars Petcare's fifth recall since August 2007; the latest occurred in mid-September, when the strain of Salmonella was located within the company's Everson, Pa., facility. The site's production accounted for 2.7 percent of the total production of Pedigree, one of Mars' affected brands.

The Sept. 12 recall affected 31 states across the country.

It is unclear whether this most recent recall was voluntary, or how the company discovered the feed was potentially contaminated.

There have not been any complaints or reports of illness resulting from consumption or handling of the recalled product, according to Mars' release.

Still, the company asked consumers to approach the situation cautiously and wisely in its statement.

"This product should not be sold or fed to pets. Pet owners should dispose of product in a safe manner (example, a securely covered trash receptacle) and return the empty bag to the store where purchased for a full refund," it says.

The recall includes "Special Kitty Gourmet Blend Dry Cat Food," with a Best If Used By Date of Aug. 11, 2009, and bags with the Production Lot Code beginning with the number "50" in the first two digits of the second line.

Salmonella is a bacterial infection that can lead to a

decreased appetite, nausea, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, vomiting and abdominal cramping.

Rarer, more severe instances could also result in arthritis, eye irritation, urinary tract symptoms and arterial infections.

Some infected pets may not show symptoms, but could still be active carriers of the disease. If owners notice any of the above symptoms, they should contact their veterinarian.

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Good Grief. This kind of thing is just getting so old. :mad: How does this keep happening?

I don't use that brand, but I'm glad you let us all know.

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    wow, that's scary!!! Makes me glad we feed the cheap dog food!!! Thanks for the info!!!

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I have only stepped foot in a Wal*Mart once in my life, and that was to use the toilet.

5. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    Anny, thanks SO MUCH for alerting us to this danger! For years we used that very kind of cat food (for our cats!), but now don't.

6. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Quote:That type of food IS a cheap type of food.

7. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    The "cheap foods" are the ones that don't have strict health regulations at their production plants or with their ingredients, to my knowledge there has never been a recall of a Super Premium food (EVO, Innova, Merrick, etc).

8. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    I heard on the news when that 1st Large recall on bet food came around that multiple brands were recalled from Science Diet to the lower cheap brands.......despite their large brand name they were using the same basic ingredients, that were contaminated or "possibly" contaminated. I was like That's Nutts to go out of your way to spend the extra money on a high quality pet food like Science Diet to just be in the same risk as others who pay lower prices...sad. [​IMG]

I have on Occasion used the Walmart brand Special Kitty food before. But my Cat needs the Urinary Tract kind style. I'll be sure to steer clear of that brand of Purina One is happens to be out again. Thanks for the info.

9. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    science diet USED to be a much better food then it is currently. They also PAY shelters and vets to recommend their food, which imo is a little lame and corrupt

10. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:i agree completely with this statement. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by