1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pet food recall

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sugar Sand Farm, May 1, 2007.

1. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I was watching the news today and they did a story on the continued trouble with the pet food recall. They said it has been traced to chicken feed in Indiana. Has anyone heard this. They claim it is not harmful to humans but I don't like the idea of giving my chickens tainted food do you. Micki

2. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    What brand of chicken feed, do you know?

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    They didn't say what kind of feed it was but they showed a farm in Indiana The chickens looked like pullets they were not full grown. I imagine fit was starter feed of some kind. I just don't like the idea that they haven't pulled this tainted food. If our chickens eat it then our eggs will be taiinted won't they.

4. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    I looked around, too, and couldn't find anything. I wrote to USA Today asking them to clarify whether or not the Indiana farms milled their own chicken feed or not. It looks as if they fed it to their broilers, but one never knows whether or not the tainted ingredient could be in layer feed, too. The article I found said the broilers had already been processed, so I suppose that means they're on grocery store shelves, or in KFC buckets... or in more pet food, who knows.

Sometimes I feel like it's not really safe to eat anything you don't grow yourself, anymore... and then you hear about things like this, which could even "get" your efforts to be as self-sufficient as possible, smack you in the Jeffersonian ideal.

[​IMG]

5. momof4k&6c

momof4k&6c Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    Indiana
    I heard the same thing on Fox News this morning... I kept waiting for them to go into more detail on what kind of feed but they never said.. [​IMG]

and I totally agree with you Llysse...

6. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
  7. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by