Pet Food Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Betsy, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Betsy

Betsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northeast Indiana
    The other night I was playing around on the internet and discovered that Canidae had drastically changed their formula and read report after report of how sick people's dogs were getting from the new formula. We've fed our dog Canidae and our cat Felidae for about two years now and they have done great on it. Thankfully we haven't got any of the new formulas yet, but needless to say we're now switching food to avoid any problems. Do you folks have any recommendations? Any good websites to compare the different foods? Thanks so much for your help!

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We feed Purina Exclusive to our 10 year old Great Pyr.

So far, Purina has not been involved in any of the recent food recalls....... [​IMG]

Edited: now if I could just type! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I recommend Wellness. I researched it for our puppy, and found it to be one of the very best. They just started selling it a Petco too, so it's much easier to get now.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Boy, you'll get lots of opinions on this post! I have been extremely happy with Solid Gold, Wysong, and Natural Balance.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll forward you (or anyone that wishes to have it) a .pdf file I have that is an actual dog food grading system. I take this into pet stores and rate them right there at the store. It gives you additions and deductions to take from your starting point, which gives you a really good place to start in comparing different brands in an unbiased/equal way. GOOD LUCK! [​IMG]

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We feed Costco's Nutra Nuggets Lamb & Rice for all life stages. I gets an A rating on the dog food grading system. We fed purina large breed puppy for a month, but it was making our Swissy puppy vomit, haven't had any problems with the Costco food.

6. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Wellness, Solid Gold, Halo Pets' Spot's Stew, and Natural Balance ...all great foods!

I fed all of them to Aneesa when she was still with us (she didn't die from food, btw [​IMG] ) ...and I feed all of those brands to my "dog like" Zoo members, now. (A couple of my reptiles even eat it!)

The ingredients are sound ..some are even organic... and the price is reasonable for the quality.

I would like to see the .pdf file, so PM sent... [​IMG]

7. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    also check out dogfoodanalysis.com . It is for dog food, but they are really hard judges of food brands, and have done the grading for you.

8. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We don't feed chicken, so tried Wellness Ocean. Our Great Pyr did not do well on it at all. So we went back to PMI Exclusive.

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Canidae put out a bulletin about the change in ingredients and actually suggested that people with sensitive animals use a different food temporarily. For that reason I would still suggest canidae. At least after they get everything sorted out. They have always produced a good product and shown they care about what they are doing.

Temporarily the best thing would be California Natural. It has a very simple ingredients list that is easy on the stomach so you can switch on and off it quicker than most foods. The price tag is also pretty good. More longterm any of natura's other products (innova, evo, healthwise..) would be good. Evo is the opposite of CN though. It has a complicated rich ingredient list that requires slowly adjusting the animal to the food in order to avoid upset stomachs. A more expensive option and my favorite is to order from frrco.com or one of their distributors. Probably one of the top 5 foods and the company has proven to be pretty dependable. If you need something cheaper try your local feedstore for diamond and chicken soup brand feeds. I've used those when I couldn't get to the petstore or order online. Not the greatest but still far far better than anything you can buy at the grocery store.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  10. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:I LOVE Natural Balance...my dog had a ton of food allergies...but she is fine on this and I can get it from my local pet food store I dont have to go to the vet for it...My locl pet store has a frequent buyers card where I buy 10 bags and get one free..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by