Pet goats, which sex combination?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Jessie66, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Jessie66

Jessie66 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Prince George, BC
    Well last week our pet wether Ike had to be put down by the vet. He was suffering from renal stones that completely stopped him from peeing. We now only have a female pygmy goat (Molly) We are now looking for a friend for her. We were thinking we should get another female, mainly because of the problem Ike had (apparently wethers block up easier due to anatomy of their urethra?) but then I thought maybe 2 females might not get along as well as a female and a wether. Molly is very timid and quiet and I'd hate to bring home a goat that will hurt her or be mean to her. Any advice would be helpful.

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    How old is she? I have 5 goats. I love them.

3. Jessie66

Jessie66 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Prince George, BC
    Molly is 3 and a half. She is a polled Pygmy, Ike was her twin. She is very sweet. Goats have wonder spirits, they are like crazy kids, very similar to ferrets. I love when they do their jumping bucking running fits. I joined the Backyardherd forum and got some responses with my question. What kind of goats do you have?

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    If you get a female that is younger she should be ok. Or a wether. We got 2 1yr old bucks last Feb. Than in March we got a 1 yr old doe. But she was lonely. So we got her a friend. The doe was 3 months. The older doe did push her around for a couple of days. But than they became great friends. We let the older doe see and smell her through the fence 1st. But when the older doe (Sara) gave birth she got witchy. But Patches is good. Their is an excellent site called BackyardHerds. Sister site to here. They on their know alot more than me about goats. I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions I will try to help. You can pm me if need be. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by