Pet Hen and Rooster Want Good Home in Middle Tennessee, free

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Sa Tu, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Sa Tu

Sa Tu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Rhode Island Red hen and rooster, Roeder and Mamie need a new home, in Middle Tennessee. They are much loved pets, 1 1/2 years old. Mamie does not lay, but has a sweet disposition. Roeder will eat out of your hand, but has occasional bouts of aggressiveness so they need an experienced and patient owner. They follow us around like a couple of dogs. We will be away from home quite a bit, and unable to care for them. We do not want to give them up, but our neighbor/chicken partner moved away, and we don't have backup care. We are looking for free ranging life for them in the day, and a secure and comfortable coop at night. If it doesn't work out, we will take them back and keep looking. No stewpots please.
    Thank you,
    Sa Tu

2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    If I was closer I would take them in a heartbeat...

3. Sa Tu

Sa Tu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Pandora, Thank you so much for your kind reply. It's re-assuring and bolsters hope!

4. theswede

theswede Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Woodbury, TN
    Why won't your hen lay? Did she ever lay? I'd be interested.

5. Sa Tu

Sa Tu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    theswede, thanks for your enquiry. I'm not sure why she doesn't lay. We started out with 25 chicks in June 08, and suffered a series of dog, hawk and coyote attacks. Six hens survived to laying age, and four lay, including one with a hole in her side, and another with a really scarred back. This hen, Mamie, got tossed back and forth by two neighbor dogs and had part of her head-wattle-gear ( don't know the official term) bitten off. She just finished her first adult moult (sp?) so maybe she will begin to lay. I am hopeful. If you are interested in giving these friends a home, we would bring them to you. If you are interested, please tell me a little about your set-up, experience, and general attitude toward chickens. The other hens have gone to a very good home near me, and Mamie could go there, if we find a home for Roeder rooster. But they could could also stay a pair. We didn't want Roeder to be without company so we kept number 1 wife.
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by