Pet Hen dying.

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
I am so sad. This morning I let the chickens out and my pet blind hen did not come out.

I went in to have a look and she was sat listless on the coop floor. I picked her up and she seemed OK. Later that day she was laying in the corner of the run alone.

I put her into the coop with food and water, where she ate and drank and seemed to perk up.

This evening she is again slumped on the coop floor not moving. Her face and wattles have gone really pale now too, and her eyes are always closed unless I go near her, and then they have lost their brightness and shine.

She has watery poop, but that it. She shows no other signs of ill health. She is not fluffed up or sneezing or anything. She is breathing normally. I can't believe that just yesterday she was so healthy and getting under my feet as usual.

I would think its like she ate something bad, but I know that is impossible as she can only eat form the big deep red feeder. She can't even drink from anything other than her special plastic cup I hang on the coop wall at her head level.

She is about 3 years old, and I raised her from a pullet. She was blind when I got her and she was a real fighter and did really well once I realised she was not getting enough to eat and drink.

I am sure she will have passed away in the morning. I am really upset as this hen has a special place in my heart. Here is a photo of her.

I can't believe it but my hen as come back from the brink of death!
wee.gif

After I posted the above post the hen got much worse - almost like she went into a coma. She was just limp laying on her stomach, neck out, eyes closed. He face lost all its redness and was almost white. She was hardly breathing - only very occasional shallow breaths.

I just left her in a cage on her one to die peacefully. The next day she had her eyes open and was starting to get up, but still lapsed back into that 'floppy out of it' state, and her eyes looked sunken and the eyelids swollen. She was very weak.

This morning she is nearly 100 percent back to normal! All the red has come back to her face and comb, she is eating and drinking and waling about, here eyes are bright and no longer sunken.

All the time I have kept chickens I have never know anything like that. I was sure she would have passed away. She had NO treatment, just a quiet place to rest.

I think maybe she was bitten or stung by something poisonous. I can not tell you all how happy I am that she have bounced back. She is even walking about with the other chickens now in the garden like nothing happened.

I do get scorpions in the garden (this is my guess that stung her). I also get big spiders, hornets and sometimes snakes - even cobra.

Maybe because of her blindness she did not see the animal that stung or bit her, she could have easily just blundered into in and stood on it.

Today is a lucky day for me - and her!

Back
Top Bottom