Pet Insurance For A Rainy Day

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by fancbrd4me02, Dec 29, 2009.

1. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen a lot of posts from pet owners who are having trouble keeping up with thier pets medical care, and I thought I would tell you about how we make sure our dogs can get medical care. We have Pet Medical Insurance. The kind we have covers emergencies and accidents, poisonings and some illnesses for about $10 per month. If something happens we have to come up with the $$$ for the incident, but the Insurance company usually re-emburses us within 1-2 weeks of us submitting a claim. We get back usually about 80% of the cost. There are different kinds of policies with different amounts of coverage, (Some policies include routine exams, shots, dental) and the costs vary by breed, age, health of pet a little bit. I urge pet owners to look up some of the more common pet insurance companies, call them up, talk to them about how it works and see if it might be something that could save you a lot of money and worry. My family is having a terrible time financially and we can't afford to pay most of our bills, but we keep the dog insurance so we don't have to choose to put her down if something happens to her.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I cant find pet ins for $10 a month...what company do you use? Thanks!

3. fancbrd4me02

I use Pets Best, and right now our dog's coverage is basic - Accident, Emergency, Poisoning, and a cap on certain ilnesses. She is also young with no pre-existing conditions, and a Dachshund. I think my brother pays aroud 14 a month for his accident-prone Bull Terrier. Call them up and make sure you get them to explain all the levels of coverage and the cost for each, and how much $$ or cap each level has. You should be able to get a reasonable rate from them.

4. fancbrd4me02

Oh, I wanted to add that when my Doxie had deluxe coverage, it was about 35-40 a month. But that covered EVERYTHING!

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My concern with these companies is that i'll get scammed some way...like are they really real? Do they really cover these things? or do they try to weasel out of paying for them when something happens? Just trying to get info here..i may actually do this...i dread if something happens to my pets..i cant afford a big vet bill.

6. fancbrd4me02

Pets Best is totally reliable, and they have never given us trouble about anything we had done. Depending on your policy, you can have different amounts of coverage for certain things. Pets Best allows you to take your pet to any vet, (I believe even out of state), choose the care you want. You pay for the procedures, then submit a claim. they review the claim, then re-emburse you a certain amount based on the coverage you have. With our dogs, we usually get back between 70-80% of the cost. They usually get a check to us withing 2 weeks. You just need to make sure you know what you have covered, and what you don't. they have great customer service, and you can call them for advice about what's covered when your pet is going to have a procedure, too. We have had Pet's Best for 4 years with no problems. I have heard from some people that they were upset with thier pet insurance, but I got the impression that they didn't understand thier coverage. I reccomend it. Even with basic coverage, if my Doxie is hit by a car, they will pay (I'm trying to remember...I think up to $4000.00 for the incident?) or something like that. Check it out, you will wonder why you paid full price for vet care all these years.

7. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
  8. fancbrd4me02

Wow, thats a fantastic link! Everybody, check it out!!!!

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks!

10. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Just be careful and ask a boat load of questions....

There was a Canadian pet insurance company that was sued recently because they disallowed a few claims

basically what happened is woman put dog in back yard to do the deed, she went to fold a load of laundry and went back to dog 10 min later... dog was gone... she was searching the neighborhood and the neighbor seen the dog running for all hes worth up the street... she got a call from her vet an hour later fido was hit by a car.

The dog was stable so she called the insurance company for approval to do the surgery they DENIED the course of treatment because they said that it was the owners fault for not watching the dog in her fenced yard. The dog dug a hole and got out.

there was another incident (different family) where they said they said the cost of the treatment was worth more then the value of the dog and would not cover that claim.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by