"Pet Keep Away Pellets", anyone know about these?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Parson's Wife, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Hi,
    My nephew said walmarts sold some pellets called, (I think) Pet keep away. You sprinkle them on the ground around where you don't want pets...dogs, cats...and they won't go in that area.
    He bought them because of neighbor cats getting on his truck, they worked for him and the cats.
    I was thinking of putting this around the outside of my coop...
    Anyone use this? Pro & Cons?
    Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
  2. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    We used to sale the stuff at work and if I remember right its mostly capsium (the stuff that makes peppers hot) I can't remember what else was in it but I would be worried the chickens would get into it. If I recall it was the right size tha they would peck at it.

3. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I Use .22 crtriges . it works . But I never ever go to wall mart

4. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Chickens would not have problem with it, adding cayenne pepper to their food is supposed help jump start their metabolism in the winter to get them laying again....

5. FunnyFarm1

FunnyFarm1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Hi,
    Hot peppers won't hurt chickens. I don't know about this product at Wal-Mart, but I use organic ground cayenne pepper mixed in with my chicken's food, it's good for them (helps prevent internal parasites) and they don't taste the heat. You've probably seen hot peppers in parrot and wild bird food. I thought about sprinkling it around the outside of their pen because it would burn the nostrils and mouths of mammal predators. You'd need to be extra careful of getting it into your own eyes/nose/mouth when sprinkling, especially if it's windy. I believe you'd also have to redo it when it rains, like deer repellant products, which also contain hot peppers, but if it stays put, maybe not. I don't have a Wal-Mart near me. I'd be interested in knowing what's in these pellets, because as you say, the chickens would probably peck at them. Check out the label and let us know.
    Jeanie--living the dream in PA
    ["If you can draw an egg, you can draw anything" N.C. Wyeth

6. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    I heard somewhere that if someone gets a dog (or a hubby [​IMG] ) to pee around your coop it should keep most predators away. [​IMG]

7. Ace_king_brahma

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    Quote:I'm not worried about the capsium in it, my main concern would be the other chemicals that go into the entire pellets make up. I would read the contents and check up on them.

8. Ace_king_brahma

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    Quote:It would invite more dogs to pee around your coop.

9. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I have no idea what is in these nowadays but years ago we used them to keep my dog away from a specific area ... he ate them! It didn't hurt him and it didn't keep him away.

Hopefully they put something in there safe but worse. I'd say give them a try but keep a watchful eye out for who might eat them. First make sure they are safe if eaten.

10. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Okay that may sound goofy now. You all said that dog pee or so would keep the predators away(unless you use a female dog thats in heat)
    in theory if somebody could get a hold of lion or tiger pee, would that be the ultimate in keeping unwanted deer and other assorted critters away??
    just a thought

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by