1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pet Quality Silkies Question

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Tiffany24, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Tiffany24

Tiffany24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    Hi, I picked up some Silkies this afternoon. They are 6 weeks old. I posted pictures on Facebook and someone said I shouldn't breed them because their combs are different. I have one with a Walnut Comb, a few have 3 rows, and others have single combs. My question is if I was to breed them can I correct the combs in their offspring by pairing certain ones? Thanks

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  2. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    It may then become a recessive trait, which could randomly show up later in the lines. If you're going to breed silkies I would recommend buying from trustworthy breeders

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You can breed them and get more pet quality birds.

correcting a fault like that will be a lot of work. If you're looking for show quality birds, it's always easier to start with show quality stock.

4. Tiffany24

Tiffany24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    Thanks, I'm getting some Silkie eggs from Tricia5099 a member on BYC. I'm excited.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by