Pet rats, cockroaches, and spiders...oh my. Hoarder had 1000's

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by dewey, Jul 27, 2011.

1. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
  2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I'm not sure. I can't watch the video right now. Did it say they were going to rehome them, or are they being euthanized? The hoarding cases are higher publicity, so tend to go to rescues, but two of these animals are commonly used as feeders, so I'm not sure how that'll go. Very, very cute rats though. I sure hope they do find homes.

3. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Urm... pet cockroaches? [​IMG]

4. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    I can't watch that video because I cannot imagine the horror of having a PET COCKROACH????? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

5. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Wow. 50lbs of dog food a night! That's a lot of rats!

I actually want to get my son some hissing cockroaches when he's old enough to want a pet. They're not that bad. They don't require much room, don't need a heat lamp or special substrate, won't bite, are sexually dimorphic so can be sexed and males and females kept separate if you don't want babies, and you can't get cheaper food than table scraps! I think they'd make an ideal low maintenance pet.

6. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:ewwwww....but they are cockroaches. disgusting...creepy.....gross.....ewwwwwww

(can y'all tell I REALLY have a cockroack phobia?[​IMG])

7. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I guess she told them that her original intent with the roaches was to use them to feed the pet spiders, but then she started to like the roaches. She wanted to write a children's book on living in a rat family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by