Pet roo turning nasty....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kitt, May 3, 2011.

1. Kitt

Kitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    I have a pet EE roo. He is a little over a year old and has always been so sweet. I went in to feed him and the hens and this bugger nailed me. Thank goodness he don't have large spurs but it still stung. 2 hens are sitting and due to hatch in about a week or so. Could this be why he is going nasty to "protect" them? I hate to do it but if I have to I'll cull him. I can not nor will not have a mean nasty roo that attacks me every time I go into the pen. I have never had a pet roo get nasty.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    having same problem, we are afraid to go in the coop... he got me today while i was turned around. we need to cull him but we dont know if we can do it. so i am feeling for you...

3. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I used to have a Black Giant rooster, Raven, who attacked & chased everyone... Except me. Maybe it was because he knew if he got to close I would scoop him up and pet the hell out of him! He got so bad that our neighbor would carry a shovel with him when he went to feed his horse that was kept in our barn. After Raven went after my dadm, that was the last straw, and we turned him into a roast.

4. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Yes, he is very likely more aggressive because he has hens sitting. Wait until after the hatch (and after the chicks grow a bit) before making a decision. Remember, it is the job of a roo to protect his hens and their chicks, so really, he's being a good roo in that respect. I realize keeping a dangerous roo isn't smart, but I do think you need to wait this one out a bit longer, given the current circumstances.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Very frequently "pet" roosters are the ones that become human aggressive most readily. In their little pea brains there is no distinction between them and us; therefore, we are subject to rooster law enforcement. Some times assuring them that there is a difference and we are dominant will work--usually not.

6. Kitt

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    Quote:I did not know that. I love this site...I always learn something new. I've had what I consider "pet" roos before ( i could handle them and they came for treats etc) and have never had this problem. I guess I was very lucky. If he don't straighten up, old crinkle will see my version of chicken law enforcement.

7. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
  8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMHO, your title says it all - Pet roo turning nasty....

My roos aren't pets. They have a job to do, they do it well, they avoid me.

It's very possible that he's stepped up the aggression because there are chicks or broodies in his flock. My roos are a bit edgy right now because of it, but they are not going after the one that feeds them.

Iffin it were me, I would cull. Try again with another roo, but not make a pet out of the next one. Roosters don't make very good pets. It's not their nature. Best to love on the hens and leave the roo to do his job.

Again, JMHO [​IMG]

9. Kitt

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    If he nails me one more time, he's gone. I have to get into the pen and don't want him attacking every darn time. (even once was one too many) Lesson learned gritsar.

10. Kitt

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    Quote:I left you a message

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by